Steamer--is plastic OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sondra

Assistant Cook
Looking for an easy way to cook simple things, I got a steamer and found I really need a timer, which it doesn't have, so I'll return it. The next step up to this model is another Rival, but, while this one is some sort of metal, that one is all plastic. Is plastic safe to cook with?

How do we know if a material is safe? Just hope for the best?

sondra, there are many different types of plastics and other synthetic materials that are quite safe to cook with nowadays. my wife just bought me 2 pot holders that appear to be rubber, but are made of a high temp synthetic, so they won't melt. it took me a while to get used to grabbing something hot with a rubbery little mat, thinking it would melt to the handle.

i'm sure the plastic in the steamer is suited for cooking temperatures.

Thanks for the votes of confidence on the plastic.

Seeing the picture of the collapsible steamer reminded me that I knew about those years ago. And the price is right. I think I'll stick with the plastic one for now, since it has a timer and I wouldn't have to deal with turning on the gas on the stove.

Yes, my new Flavor Wave Convection Oven has a large plastic see-through dome that is completely safe to use and can withstand the extremely high heat of up to 400 degrees - its highest heat setting.

The powerhead can be detatched from it so that the dome is easy to clean in the sink or dishwasher.

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom