Storage Solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I got home with my fantastic buy on pumpkin and evaporated milk. I don't think these things through. I ended up storing it in the bottom of my closet.

Where do you store canned items when your pantry is full?

My kitchen i small. No pantry space to speak of. I stash more commonly used items in a couple of cabinets. The rest, about 95% of the total, is in the cellar on steel shelving.

I get my exercise running up and down the stairs to get the stuff I need for a meal. If I was a little better organized, I get a little less exercised.

What would be a broom closet in the kitchen is a pantry, I have a small Sauder pantry in what would be the dining room. Both full to the gills, found good deals lately on canned goods. There are two wire racks in the "dining room" that hold all my small appliances. We have storage closet outside, but that hold suitcases, etc. I'm seriously considering taking some of my canned purchases to our storage rental (about 3 blocks away) and starting a pantry there. Then I can go "shopping," walking over there with my market basket.

i have two separate places in the kitchen. a pantry with canned goods. wire shelf in it to hold more cans. two top shelves hold other staples , rice, pasta, etc. top one is cereal. dry and oatmeal . i have baking stuff in a separate place in kitchen. i try not to over buy. sometimes they get very full. but just go with the flow. hardly ever would need to store any overflow.

I have a rather narrow but very deep pantry in the kitchen, and husband installed wonderful pull out wire racks on the shelves. He got them at Lowe's and I love them, as I can get all the way to the back. Surplus goods are stored in the garage.

PF......you said...."We have storage closet outside, but that hold suitcases, etc" Why not store your food surplus in the suitcases? It's space that isn't being used, right?

I have a rather narrow but very deep pantry in the kitchen, and husband installed wonderful pull out wire racks on the shelves. He got them at Lowe's and I love them, as I can get all the way to the back. Surplus goods are stored in the garage.

PF......you said...."We have storage closet outside, but that hold suitcases, etc" Why not store your food surplus in the suitcases? It's space that isn't being used, right?

That's a good idea and much closer than three blocks...I'm actually going to get Shrek to move his Tall Toolchest out of the living room closet and put it in the rental, it not like he uses all those tools all the time, and do some food storage in there.

The trouble with the outside storage and the rental is they are not heated and it gets REALLY cold here at times. I actually store milk outside in the winter if there is a good sale.

I have a rack for canned items on some Ikea shelving in the kitchen. The excess goes on wooden Ikea shelving in the basement.

One of these days, I'm going to have a basement, cellar or garage. Wishful thinking. We've been in this apartment for 11 years, you can just imagine how much stuff we have stacked in it...at least it does not look like it should star on "Hoarders."

PF, I just remembered that in my other house, I stored some can goods in the forced air heater closet in the hallway. The heating unit itself didn't get hot and the closet was much bigger than the unit. Do you have that kind of heating?

I have a fairly large pantry and usually don't have trouble finding space for everything in there. I can fill up the floor fairly easily so I have to lean over everything to get to some stuff when I'm over full. That doesn't seem to happen as much since the boys moved out and it's just the two of us. I do have a small college dorm refrigerator in the dining room where we keep the beer and canned soda cold and the extras sit on top of it.

PF, I just remembered that in my other house, I stored some can goods in the forced air heater closet in the hallway. The heating unit itself didn't get hot and the closet was much bigger than the unit. Do you have that kind of heating?

Hot water and our heating are in a utility room somewhere else in the building. I think my best bet is to move the tools to the rental, except for a box of the most used. Our rental is still mostly open space, we got it to store the cargo carrier for the car and our camping gear.

Back
Top Bottom