"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tagine safety

I know this has been discussed before but I have just returned from Morocco with a glazed tagine that I bought in the souk in Marrakesh. It appears to be sound. I've soaked it in water for two hours then rubbed it wit olive oil and put it in te oven for two hours. I then washed it in warm soapy water as directed on the internet and at no stage in the process was there a grayish residue or any residue for that mater. Does this mean it is lead free and safe for cooking? Has any one bought a tagine from the souk and used it successively without being lead poisoned?!!
I know it wasn't expensive but I would love to be able to use it after having got it this far.
Comments and advice please

Thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagine View Post
I know this has been discussed before but I have just returned from Morocco with a glazed tagine that I bought in the souk in Marrakesh. It appears to be sound. I've soaked it in water for two hours then rubbed it wit olive oil and put it in te oven for two hours. I then washed it in warm soapy water as directed on the internet and at no stage in the process was there a grayish residue or any residue for that mater. Does this mean it is lead free and safe for cooking? Has any one bought a tagine from the souk and used it successively without being lead poisoned?!!
I know it wasn't expensive but I would love to be able to use it after having got it this far.
Comments and advice please

Thanks
firstly welcome from manchester uk tagine! secondly i don't think you'll get too many replies from the one's who HAVE been lead poisoned!! thirdly the answer is IMHO,that you can't be too careful with stuff like lead & i don't think that stuff like washing & a lack of grey residue is a safe guide/acid test.i too have been to the souk in marrakesh &,as i'm sure you found,there are as many stalls & shops as there are fleas on a camels hump all sourcing their stock from different suppliers so the fact that someone has bought one from the souk,used it & not got ill doesn't,IMHO,mean that yours is safe.if in doubt leave it out!!the two i have were bought in the uk from reputable suppliers/manufacturers & i'm sure you have plenty where you are too.What is Sunday's Grub, Bub? July 22nd

Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

tagine safety

I had a feeling that this was the advice I would get! thank you anyway for your quick reply
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagine View Post
I had a feeling that this was the advice I would get! thank you anyway for your quick reply
no probs,sorry it wasn't more positive news but we can't have you poisoning yourself so soon.......you've only just joined us!
i'm sure lots of other people will have their spin on the situation,so just wait & see what other replies you get.but,as i said,imo "if in doubt leave it out" & don't forget you still have a decorative reminder of a trip to & experience of a great part of the world!!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Head Chef

If you're worried, 3M Lead Check swabs can test for lead.

3MLeadCheck

Sold at Ace, Lowes, Walmart, Sherwin-Williams.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post

3MLeadCheck

+1
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post

3MLeadCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
+1
you lot have got all the good stuff over there,didn't even know that such a tester existed!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You should be able to find a lead test kit wherever paint is sold.
I believe it is available from amazon as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
you lot have got all the good stuff over there,didn't even know that such a tester existed!!
I've never heard of them either! I'll have to look next time I'm out and about.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I love the lead tests! My tagine came from Tagines.com, because of Paula Wolfert's praise. I did, however, purchase a lead test kit and tested my tagines, my red ceramic cook ware and my sand pots from the local Asian market. I'm happy to report that all tested negative for lead! The kits are really cheap when you consider the peace of mind when results are negative. Because of DH I've stopped cooking in my tagine but it's in corner of my counter and holds my onions! Such a pretty sight!