Tagine safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tagine

Assistant Cook
I know this has been discussed before but I have just returned from Morocco with a glazed tagine that I bought in the souk in Marrakesh. It appears to be sound. I've soaked it in water for two hours then rubbed it wit olive oil and put it in te oven for two hours. I then washed it in warm soapy water as directed on the internet and at no stage in the process was there a grayish residue or any residue for that mater. Does this mean it is lead free and safe for cooking? Has any one bought a tagine from the souk and used it successively without being lead poisoned?!!
I know it wasn't expensive but I would love to be able to use it after having got it this far.
Comments and advice please

Thanks

I know this has been discussed before but I have just returned from Morocco with a glazed tagine that I bought in the souk in Marrakesh. It appears to be sound. I've soaked it in water for two hours then rubbed it wit olive oil and put it in te oven for two hours. I then washed it in warm soapy water as directed on the internet and at no stage in the process was there a grayish residue or any residue for that mater. Does this mean it is lead free and safe for cooking? Has any one bought a tagine from the souk and used it successively without being lead poisoned?!!
I know it wasn't expensive but I would love to be able to use it after having got it this far.
Comments and advice please

Thanks
firstly welcome from manchester uk tagine! secondly i don't think you'll get too many replies from the one's who HAVE been lead poisoned!! thirdly the answer is IMHO,that you can't be too careful with stuff like lead & i don't think that stuff like washing & a lack of grey residue is a safe guide/acid test.i too have been to the souk in marrakesh &,as i'm sure you found,there are as many stalls & shops as there are fleas on a camels hump all sourcing their stock from different suppliers so the fact that someone has bought one from the souk,used it & not got ill doesn't,IMHO,mean that yours is safe.if in doubt leave it out!!the two i have were bought in the uk from reputable suppliers/manufacturers & i'm sure you have plenty where you are too.http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/what-is-sundays-grub-bub-july-22nd-80707-4.html

tagine safety

I had a feeling that this was the advice I would get! thank you anyway for your quick reply

I had a feeling that this was the advice I would get! thank you anyway for your quick reply
no probs,sorry it wasn't more positive news but we can't have you poisoning yourself so soon.......you've only just joined us!
i'm sure lots of other people will have their spin on the situation,so just wait & see what other replies you get.but,as i said,imo "if in doubt leave it out" & don't forget you still have a decorative reminder of a trip to & experience of a great part of the world!!

If you're worried, 3M Lead Check swabs can test for lead.

3MLeadCheck

41Vheekvm3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sold at Ace, Lowes, Walmart, Sherwin-Williams.

I love the lead tests! My tagine came from Tagines.com, because of Paula Wolfert's praise. I did, however, purchase a lead test kit and tested my tagines, my red ceramic cook ware and my sand pots from the local Asian market. I'm happy to report that all tested negative for lead! The kits are really cheap when you consider the peace of mind when results are negative. Because of DH I've stopped cooking in my tagine but it's in corner of my counter and holds my onions! Such a pretty sight!

Back
Top Bottom