Thawing chicken stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the point is that you should find out what works best for you and freeze accordingly. I simmer almost to a syrup, mostly to reduce storage space, and have learned about how many to put in the pot to achieve what I want. If I typically used 2 cups of standard stock, I would freeze in cup sized containers. Just a guess, but I would guess that about 3 muffin tin blocks would equal a cup.

Geez, Breezy, are you sending the OP your ice cube trays?

My point was simply that since he always uses two cups of stock at a time, a pre-measured two-cup frozen block is easier to deal with than 16 ice cubes or 'x' number of muffin cups worth of stock.

Maybe I should send him some ice cube trays, but at $1 or so for a set, I think he can probably buy his own. :LOL:

My point was simply that recipes differ in the amount of stock called for. I'm frequently asked for 1/4-cup, 1/2-cup, 1-cup, etc. of stock depending on the recipe (especially stirfries, which I make frequently), & unless I have a carton of commercial chicken stock in the pantry, or just want to use my own, the cubes make this uber easy to do with no leftovers.

If the OP always & only uses two cups of stock at a time (which sounds very limiting recipe-wise), than all the more power to him freezing in those blocks.

And I also freeze stock in quart containers. These I save for recipes when I need those amounts - soups, stews, etc. But I can't imagine melting those down for the times when I just need a little. It doesn't make sense when the cubes are so easy to have on hand.

But again - to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom