"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Head Chef

I think the point is that you should find out what works best for you and freeze accordingly. I simmer almost to a syrup, mostly to reduce storage space, and have learned about how many to put in the pot to achieve what I want. If I typically used 2 cups of standard stock, I would freeze in cup sized containers. Just a guess, but I would guess that about 3 muffin tin blocks would equal a cup.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Geez, Breezy, are you sending the OP your ice cube trays?

My point was simply that since he always uses two cups of stock at a time, a pre-measured two-cup frozen block is easier to deal with than 16 ice cubes or 'x' number of muffin cups worth of stock.
Maybe I should send him some ice cube trays, but at $1 or so for a set, I think he can probably buy his own.

My point was simply that recipes differ in the amount of stock called for. I'm frequently asked for 1/4-cup, 1/2-cup, 1-cup, etc. of stock depending on the recipe (especially stirfries, which I make frequently), & unless I have a carton of commercial chicken stock in the pantry, or just want to use my own, the cubes make this uber easy to do with no leftovers.

If the OP always & only uses two cups of stock at a time (which sounds very limiting recipe-wise), than all the more power to him freezing in those blocks.

And I also freeze stock in quart containers. These I save for recipes when I need those amounts - soups, stews, etc. But I can't imagine melting those down for the times when I just need a little. It doesn't make sense when the cubes are so easy to have on hand.

But again - to each his own.