"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Thawing chicken stock?

I make fresh chicken stock on the weekend, and then freeze it in a ziplock bag, so I can use it for a risotto during the week.

It's impossible to chop it up, so what I've been doing is putting the big block in a wide pot over low heat, and waiting for enough stock to melt off. Then I use the stock and return the ice block to the plastic bag in the freezer.

Each block lasts about 2-3 weeks, so this process gets repeated over and over until the block disappears.

Is this safe?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Probably so. You might freeze the stock in 2 cup batches instead of one big bag.
That way you would know how much stock you are using and not have to worry about refreezing it.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yes it is safe to put the stock back into the freezer. If you do end up melting all the stock, make sure to cool off the unused stock before you put it back into the freezer. You would not want to put hot product into the freezer, because it would heat up the stuff around it.

If you have any other food saftey questions just ask me and I will be glad to answer.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree wit the others.

Buy smaller freezer bags.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Freeze the stock in ice cube trays. Remove the frozen stock cubes and store in freezer plastic bags.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Freeze the stock in ice cube trays. Remove the frozen stock cubes and store in freezer plastic bags.
Ta Daaaaaaaaaaa! It's just that simple!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks guys. Ice cube trays are not really an option. I just don't have enough room in my freezer for all those trays.

By the way, I don't melt the block completely. I only melt out 2 cups worth at a time. So when the block goes back in the freezer, it's still frozen.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post
Thanks guys. Ice cube trays are not really an option. I just don't have enough room in my freezer for all those trays.

By the way, I don't melt the block completely. I only melt out 2 cups worth at a time. So when the block goes back in the freezer, it's still frozen.
You can freeze a tray or two at a time and refrigerate the rest of the stock while they are freezing. Should freeze within a couple of hours or overnight. You'd only need 2 trays this way.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post

Well................If you always use two cups, then measure out 2 cup quantities into individual bags and freeze them. While what you are doing is probably safe, is seems really inefficient time wise and just how do you know when exactly 2 cups have thawed off? In addition, that wide pan has to be washed, you have to handle the slippery frozen block again, and again. I mean....really....I'm not sure if you tried you could devise a less optimal way to do this than what you are presently doing.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I know it's two cups because I wait for enough to melt that fills a two-cup measuring cup. It's pretty easy to eye-ball it and it only takes about 5-10 minutes to melt off what I need.

I'll admit, it's not the most elegant method, but it seems more convenient than the alternatives. Having 6-7 ziplock bags worth of stock in my freezer seems awfully inconvenient. Ditto for juggling stock between the freezer and the refrigerator.

I just wanted to make sure that what I'm doing is safe.