"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

What I really wanted to ask is whether it is safe to half defrost it using cold water today, put it back in the frig tonight, and hope for the best tomorrow. I plan to cook the turkey around noon, Thursday.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

DH puts ours in a cooler full of cold water to thaw it. I think you'll have time if you do it that way.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Head Chef

I put my 21 pound bird in the fridge last Thursday night and this morning, Wednesday, there are still thick ice chunks in the cavity. It takes a looooonnng time for a turkey of that weight to thaw. I'm not sure that cold water will thaw it by tomorrow since the bird is frozen to the center, but I would give it a try. Be sure it is totally submerged. I'm wondering, when did you start to thaw it?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linfinch View Post
It is 7:51 a.m. on Wednesday. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. My 20 lb. turkey is frozen solid. Help! I can't use the cold water way if I want to cook it tomorrow...can I?
The cold water method would be your best bet. I would guess that you have enough time, but I can't say for sure. It is the absolute fastest safe way to defrost it though so that is definitely the method you should use at this point.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linfinch View Post
What I really wanted to ask is whether it is safe to half defrost it using cold water today, put it back in the frig tonight, and hope for the best tomorrow. I plan to cook the turkey around noon, Thursday.
Yes that is safe, but it may not defrost quick enough. If you are able to put it in the fridge still in the water then that would probably work though.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to domsmom
No fear...Safe bet is 30 minutes per pound in sink covered completely in water. So for a 20 lbs turkey. Your going to need approximately 10 hours in water... make sure it is completely covered and remember to change water every 30 minutes or so. Water temp must stay below 40 degrees... so smile :-) you still have time..
Old 11-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

why cant you use the cold water method?
If I were you I would put it in a sink of water all day today. check how thawed it is tonight and if it is still frozen leave it in at night but you might have to get up once in the night to check on it,, if it is thawed then put it back in the fridge then but if not just keep letting it thaw with cold water on it. In the morning if it is not thawed all the way out then just cook it any way as long as you take out the giblets etc from the inside. It does not hurt to cook a frozen turkey if you have time to do that,, It will take longer to cook but still be ok. Hope this helps,, When i left my turkey out all night in cold water it was totaly fine and none of us got sick at all. I know some people told me not to eat it but oh well I took my chance and it was great. Happy thanksgiving!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
It does not hurt to cook a frozen turkey if you have time to do that.
The problem with doing that is the inside (still frozen) will take longer to cook, so the outside (defrosted) will have to cook longer and thus will over cook.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

What do you think......can we eat this bird?

I feel soooooooo stupid! We received a frozen turkey from our employer last Friday. It was very cold here -- got down to the 20's overnight. I forgot about Big Bird until Monday night. When I went to get him out of the car, he was still partially frozen in the center and very cold. He has been in the fridge since. Think I need to throw it out?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Did the temp in the car get up to 40 degrees? If the bird was in 40 degree or warmer for more than a few hours then I would toss it.