"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I suspect the burning smell/smoke is not related to the window shattering. The glass issue is probably just something that happened because of it's weakening over time. A small invisible crack develops and with just the right stress, shatters.

The smell and smoke may be from the cheese spread on your bread or something else that spilled in the oven. Something like a cheese spill doesn't take a lot of heat to burn.

Just a guess on my part.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I suspect the burning smell/smoke is not related to the window shattering. The glass issue is probably just something that happened because of it's weakening over time. A small invisible crack develops and with just the right stress, shatters.

The smell and smoke may be from the cheese spread on your bread or something else that spilled in the oven. Something like a cheese spill doesn't take a lot of heat to burn.

Just a guess on my part.
I don't think the burning smell/smoke is related either, though, my son thinks maybe the smell was the glass deteriorating--I'm not convinced. I don't think glass 'smells' or 'smokes' when it degrades.

I think we rarely heat that oven over 400F and the residue from the baking/cooking, starts to burn at higher temperatures. I bake all the time, so does my son, roast turkey, heat pizzas, beef pork and venison roasts--we cook in there almost daily.

I'm one that takes the convection/micro outside once a year and burn off any residue at 500F just so it won't smoke at all during the winter. (We don't bake at high temperatures in it for the most part.)

It wasn't the cheese (the loaf was wrapped in foil) but I do get the point and agree with that.

The only test I need to do is test oven temperature now, and frankly, after my google search, I think it was just tempered glass giving way after years of use. (I'm thankful for my 15 years of use.) No jolt needed, no weakness needed, no temperature needed, just a freak accident. I can see this happening after years of use, what I can't understand is new ovens bursting oven glass after only months of use (found on google searches).

I'm content in needing to replace this appliance, and I appreciate all your input and thoughts on what has happened. I'm thinking it's a once in a lifetime occurance. All of you, thank you for being there!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Head Chef

Just wondering, now that I see the picture, is the oven still usable? Will it be safe to operate without the glass?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Just wondering, now that I see the picture, is the oven still usable? Will it be safe to operate without the glass?
I'm thinking yes.
I tested the temperature at 200 and 250F, everything was right on temperature.
I should test it at higher temperatures.
I'm just nervous that it might be temperamental (pun intended).
Nobody gets my jokes.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The glass in the picture looks like what you get with exploding Duralex and Corelle. They don't break when you drop or knock them. They apparently store all of those bumps and then one day with a light tap or nothing at all, it just crumbles or explodes.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Head Chef

I know it's been over a year but we just replaced the stove. (since it worked, it just looked terrible and no money)
It's a lower model, black, GE (ugh), at least we have an oven and stove with an oven door now.
I couldn't find anything with pilot lights unfortunately. This will greatly reduce my yogurt making abilities.
I have to rethink my cooking capabilities with this stove.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Head Chef

A heating pad works great for yogurt.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
That's what I do.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I had my Kenmore oven door glass "explode" too although mine wasn't as theatrical as what was described above. I had the stove for quite some time, years. I had been of the habit of cleaning the inside of the glass (along with the rest of the oven) with Easy Off oven cleaner. I had just cleaned the glass rather thoroughly within the preceding few days and I'm convinced the oven cleaner was a contributory factor. I'm not sure it's such a good idea to use such a strong cleaner on the glass.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's what I do.
Girlfriends, sisters, my country men, my dears ....I know I have to change my ways, I just miss my old ways. Do you put something water repellent over the heating pad and place the bowl/kettle over it?

I baked and cooked on the new stove yesterday and today. (baked beans, short ribs, pizza) I don't want it to get dirty. It's much taller (by 3 inches) than the last one--I feel like I have to cook on my tip toes.

Tags
oven