"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I had my Kenmore oven door glass "explode" too although mine wasn't as theatrical as what was described above. I had the stove for quite some time, years. I had been of the habit of cleaning the inside of the glass (along with the rest of the oven) with Easy Off oven cleaner. I had just cleaned the glass rather thoroughly within the preceding few days and I'm convinced the oven cleaner was a contributory factor. I'm not sure it's such a good idea to use such a strong cleaner on the glass.
Good point about the oven cleaner. I'm going to keep that in mind now that I have a new one and no kids to help me wreck it.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Right away this recipe came to mind:

12-15 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good)
1 cup uncooked popcoorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of he oven. Listen for the popping sounds.
When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Right away this recipe came to mind:

12-15 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good)
1 cup uncooked popcoorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of he oven. Listen for the popping sounds.
When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.
thank you. ha ha ha

I would have rather had popcorn and a turkey be the cause of the exploding door and not have had to ask my son about it.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Girlfriends, sisters, my country men, my dears ....I know I have to change my ways, I just miss my old ways. Do you put something water repellent over the heating pad and place the bowl/kettle over it?

I baked and cooked on the new stove yesterday and today. (baked beans, short ribs, pizza) I don't want it to get dirty. It's much taller (by 3 inches) than the last one--I feel like I have to cook on my tip toes.
I make yogourt in a canning jar. I tie the heating pad around it with a string. Then I just slip the canning jar into the pad and out again when finished. I sometimes put a small cup under the jar, so the heating pad goes down below the bottom of the jar.

I put plastic wrap on the jar instead of a lid and poke a thermometer through the plastic wrap and leave it there, so I can keep an eye on the temperature.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Head Chef

I would not use that stove again. Call your insurance guy (or gal) and get a new one asap. Oops, I guess you've already done that. Glad all is well.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
Head Chef

I make a gallon of yogurt at a time in my picnic cooler. I put the milk into widemouth quart jars with lids, and pour about a gallon of hot water into the cooler. It stays nice and warm all night.

To make smaller quantities, 'invest' in one of those styrofoam bait buckets--that will hold one jar and keeps it cozy for 8 hours or so.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I make a gallon of yogurt at a time in my picnic cooler. I put the milk into widemouth quart jars with lids, and pour about a gallon of hot water into the cooler. It stays nice and warm all night.

To make smaller quantities, 'invest' in one of those styrofoam bait buckets--that will hold one jar and keeps it cozy for 8 hours or so.
If I had the space to put such a thing, that's what I would use.

Kudos to Sparrowgrass for using the more environmentally friendly method.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Kudos to Sparrowgrass for using the more environmentally friendly method.
Green methods ++

Tags
oven