Time From Oven to 'Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rob can be so lazy that he'll just put the lid on the pot and put it in the fridge. Luckily I've gotten him into the habit of putting stuff in the fridge instead of letting it sit out, so I see that as a win!

Rob can be so lazy that he'll just put the lid on the pot and put it in the fridge. Luckily I've gotten him into the habit of putting stuff in the fridge instead of letting it sit out, so I see that as a win!

That why I like Rob so much. All my pots go on the bottom shelf until the next day. Then I go back and put the food in smaller containers the next day. :angel:

Putting the pot in the fridge is a decent compromise. It really helps if there is a big enough space for the pot. It can be daunting when too much stuff has to be rearranged before the pot fits.

Putting the pot in the fridge is a decent compromise. It really helps if there is a big enough space for the pot. It can be daunting when too much stuff has to be rearranged before the pot fits.

Because I have to be careful bending over, I put very little on the bottom shelf in the fridge. If I bend over for too long, I pass out. :angel:

I was hoping to keep it hot enough for when she got home without the need to reheat it after it got put in the fridge for a bit.
In that case wrap it in foil and put it in the oven on a low heat or wrap it in foil and then wrap the foil parcel in several towels or a blanket or several thicknesses of newspaper a low light to insulate it and keep it warm.

This is the reason I try to limit big-pot cooking to the colder weather. Garage=walk-in cooler. I just then have to remember to transfer it to the refrigerator before it freezes. :LOL:

I get the food into the refrigerator as soon as I can.

Usually that means setting the dish in a sink with some cold water. Even an inch of cold water will immediately drop the temperature of the hot food, as well as cooling the pan. Cooked food is out only for a short time before being refrigerated at my house.

I also used to be responsible for not knocking off 100 elderly nursing home residents so my habits reflect that history.:LOL:

I get the food into the refrigerator as soon as I can.

Usually that means setting the dish in a sink with some cold water. Even an inch of cold water will immediately drop the temperature of the hot food, as well as cooling the pan. Cooked food is out only for a short time before being refrigerated at my house.

I also used to be responsible for not knocking off 100 elderly nursing home residents so my habits reflect that history.:LOL:

They are even stricter now, Beth! :LOL:

About knocking off residents I mean!:ROFLMAO:

I am curious on what people's thoughts are on this.

I just got done making a rather large meatloaf (like a 9x13x2 baking dish).

How long would you let it sit on the stove covered in foil before sticking it in the fridge? Too soon and this thing is a large source of heat that can effect other things already in there, too late and it can get bad for you.

It was baked at 350F for a little over an hour and is topped with Indiana Tomato Gravy*.

Thoughts?

*That's just plain old ketchup but some here might get the joke.

A couple of points that don't seem to have been mentioned. In order to get foodborne illness there needs to be pathogenic bacteria present in the food. Cooking foor at 350 for an hour will generally kill almost all types of organisms. The exception being some spore formers that might be associated with things like rice.
So one possibility is that you, as the cook and server, have contaminated the food after cooking with some pathogenic organism. This has a reasonably low probability in most households if reasonable precautions are taken (ie, don't cook with an infected finger).
So the chance of getting a foodborne illness from home AFTER cooking is not real high. However, food spoilage will begin almost immediately so proper storage will help preserve the quality of the leftovers.

Ours is more off in one corner than the middle. :)

;) Mine is the furthest point from the entrance to the kitchen. And I have a tiny kitchen. It is not easy to walk that length carrying something with one hand while I try to open the fridge door with the other. :angel:

I'll leave it over night, have some for breakfast and then cover and put it in the fridge.

I am with you Craig. But then this subject always pops up at least once a year. I figure it is on par with me doing math. There is no answer that will please everyone. If I answer that two plus zero equals two, someone will come up with an algebra solution to my problem with math. So since everyone but me has the right answer, I will go with the laziest way to go. I need a nap now. :wacko: I am exhausted from trying to do math. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom