"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
Executive Chef

First, I'd put gloves on. Then, I'd pop that package with my fingernail, through the gloves. Drop the chicken in a bowl, and remove the gloves. With bare hands I'll add any seasoning or liquid. Get out the cooking pan/clean transfer plate. Put gloves back on. Rub the chicken wearing the gloves, place into clean vehicle. Toss gloves. At that point, either it goes into the fridge or it gets cooked. If I use the grill, I'll put it on with my bare hands. If it's going into the oven it's already in the pan. If it's going into a saute pan, I'll use bare hands. Once the chicken is cooking I'd wash and sanitize my hands past my wrists regardless whether I'd touched it or not.
I don't flip everything, but if I did I'd wash the tongs between uses.

I'm used to using my hands because of the quantity I'm used to working with. The gloves....I admit they are wasteful and regret having to use them. I never really cared for the feeling of raw meat. For what it's worth, I can barely stand the feel of steel wool, either.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'm really creeped out by raw poultry/bacteria issues so i always wash tongs/tools after touching any raw parts-the exception to this is soups/stews, in which case the tool is going inside boiling liquid...maybe i should wash up when cooking these too?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

OMG, I am totally obsessive about this! Since I've always been a really bad cook - much better now, thanks - I was terrified that I might accidentally kill one of the people I was feeding by making a mistake. I viewed raw meat in any form, especially chicken, as potentially deadly. (Hence we ate very little meat - mostly pasta and other "safe" stuff.)

Anyway, thanks to DC, I feel more confident in my ability to master the deadly poultry and can serve it to people I love without trembling. But I still routinely use most of my 8 sets of tongs when preparing raw chicken. It's like surgery - I use one set and then stick it in the special SS bucket I have set out for this purpose. To bread or season or marinate the meat, I use one set. To turn the meat, I use a set. Another set for taking the fully cooked chicken out of the pan. It's never ending.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
Cook

When i have to cook chicken, like i did last night, I use a sharp knife and 2-3 tongs. First i make my coating mix then put on a pair of latex gloves. Then i rip the plastic dump the chicken in the bowl and coat w/one pair of tongs and use the same tongs to transfer to my pan. If i don't have enough tongs I'll coat the food with my gloved hands.

As I am cleaning up I use another pair of tongs to flip and turn the chicken. When the chicken is at the right temp I use a final pair of tongs to plate the dish. I have never used frozen chicken because all that ice melts in the pot and mixes with all the yucky stuff.

I do become paranoid when it comes to any kind of poultry, and yes, even turkeys.

The way i see it a you're own procedure of sanitation overkill should work. I wipe down every inch of counters in my kitchen and i wash the tools on the sanitizer setting of the dishwasher.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Head Chef

And as soon as anything is exposed to the air again everything is re-contaminated with bacterias, molds and fungi probably worse than what you are stressed about.

Heaven forbid if you should ever sneeze or walk outside and have any dirt get on your shoes or clothing that could be carrying the C. Botulinum spore. And forget it if you have any kind of fan blowing in your kitchen.

Personally I have faith in my immune system and my market to do their best to keep me healthy. Chicken cleaning is done efficiently as is the clean up afterwards with soap and water. Sometimes I will do a wipe down with a Clorox wipe if I've been a messy person that day, but nothing more. A chicken is our friend and should be treated like one, not as a mortal enemy.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

I use whatever is in arms reach, and yes it can get messy quickly here folks!! LOL.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
And as soon as anything is exposed to the air again everything is re-contaminated with bacterias, molds and fungi probably worse than what you are stressed about.

Heaven forbid if you should ever sneeze or walk outside and have any dirt get on your shoes or clothing that could be carrying the C. Botulinum spore. And forget it if you have any kind of fan blowing in your kitchen.

Personally I have faith in my immune system and my market to do their best to keep me healthy. Chicken cleaning is done efficiently as is the clean up afterwards with soap and water. Sometimes I will do a wipe down with a Clorox wipe if I've been a messy person that day, but nothing more. A chicken is our friend and should be treated like one, not as a mortal enemy.
Finally, the voice of reason cries from the darkness. I'm not saying that we should have poor sanitation practices in out home kitchens, but I've always raised an eyebrow at the number of people who are obsessed with this issue. If they saw how their mother and grandmother handled food without any special knowledge of good kitchen practices, they would be horrified. Yet, we have managed to live through it. I, too, have faith in my immune system, and it's actually good to give it a workout once in awhile. That's why we were given it, not to leave it on a shelf gathering dust while we bathe in Clorox wipes.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
If they saw how their mother and grandmother handled food without any special knowledge of good kitchen practices, they would be horrified. Yet, we have managed to live through it.
I do not disagree that some people go overboard, but the above argument always gets me. Yes everyone here did live through it, but there have been plenty of people who have not. Hey back then no one wore seat belts either, but we all lived through that too right?

We know a lot more now then we did back then. Plus chicken processing is much different now then it was then which is part of the reason it is more dangerous now then it used to be.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Yea, back then lopping the head of one chicken and serving it up for supper did not risk contaminating the rest. But one contaminated chicken in a factory could potentially contaminate hundreds if not more... apply the same theory to 'cross-contamination' at home.
Don't get me wrong, I don't obsess over every little thing and don't use anti-bacterial soaps and washes and wipes and etc ect ect ect ad infinium LOL. But I see nothing wrong with a sane calm approach of being careful about how one processes their food in their kitchen either.
I clean as I go along, and when in doubt I toss the utensil in the sink and grab another one... hence the 'arms reach' comment LOL. Drives the wife nuts as she feels I end up using more dishes than I should, but hey we are all still alive here!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
Head Chef

Yes, we are all here and alive, with our phobias, biases, misinformation, and the thing we call Human Nature. It is what makes us who we are, but it does give me hope for a better future because I'm going to buy stock in rubber gloves, tongs, and maybe face masks.