"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Head Chef
"The FDA has also speculated that washing the spinach is insufficient to sanitize it because the bacteria is systemic, meaning that it is not just on the outside of the spinach, but that it has been absorbed through the roots and is now inside the spinach. This hypothesis has since been deemed only hypothetical as there is no evidence that this can happen in spinach."
2006 North American E. coli outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, I know it's wikipedia, but nevertheless, I found this interesting.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
is this what is in reference:

FDA Finalizes Report on 2006 Spinach Outbreak

Because the contamination occurred before the start of the investigation, and because of the many ways that E.coli O157:H7 can be transferred -- including animals, humans, and water -- the precise means by which the bacteria spread to the spinach remain unknown.

and that's from the "final report"

and in terms of the absolute best "So glad to hear you've stopped beating you wife" headliners:

Although washing produce would not have prevented the recent E-coli outbreak involving spinach, washing can reduce the risk of contamination from some other causes. FDA advises consumers that all produce should be thoroughly washed before eating.

so, how it got there is "unknown" - but washing would not have helped.

your tax dollars hard at work.

this list details the twisted history:
Spinach and E. coli Outbreak

2006.11.15: CDC Food Safety Activities and the Recent E.coli Spinach Outbreak details congressional testimony. it says in part
A better understanding is needed of the mechanisms by which leafy greens become contaminated so contamination can be interrupted.

don't get me wrong, I'm not in denial - but I have seen no scientifically validated information that plants absorb e. coli. all the real science points to surface contamination. washing / rinsing is good, it that sufficient? don't know.

I do however have serious issues with (loosely defined) "journalists" taking a sentence from here, half a paragraph from there, a couple words from somewhere else and spinning it into a "The Sky Is Falling" headline.

Dillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook
While I think this story could have been written from a better angle, I think the point is clear: Handle your food carefully. Especially the types of food on this list.

If you've never had it before, how do you know you don't like it?
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote