"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I've seen Rachel (several times) break off stalks of celery and just wipe them down with a cloth..and with the same dirty spot on the cloth. Actually just spreading the dirt all over the celery. You could see the dirt on the base of the celery. I know they have staff to wash the fruits and veggies, but sometimes they don't.
I wash all fruits and vegs under running water, rubbing or scrubbing or blasting with my sprayer..lol. Even watermelon.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

My reason for washing store bought is more for knocking off and solid dirt, bugs, or anything else like that.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't use much celery, but that is one dirt holding veggie. Even I wash that one well.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If the salad is contaminated then washing will not do anything other than spread the contamination unless you use soap. Somehow soapy salad just does not sounds tasty
We use the pesticide wash that you get in the produce section and it kills everything including anything that might possibly maybe come from cross contamination in the kitchen.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

I guess what I should have said was rinsing under water only. You have a point about products made specifically to wash produce.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Devil's advocate question:
How do we know that of any produce we buy? Has it been contaminated or not before we use it for the first time? I just had tomatoes tonight on my tacos, so they were eaten uncooked. I did not use soap to wash them off, a quick rinse under cold water was all they received.
So, would I have been better off not rinsing them at all, just in case?
At least in YT's case it was "fresh" uncooked chicken as the possible contaminant. Which is probably why he asked in the first place...

Enquiring minds want to know
I'll one up your "devil's advocate" ~ how does anyone know that Sally Shopper doesn't go from the meat department, get crap on her hands, and then touch half the barrel of lettuce heads or tomatoes finding her perfect one? Not many stores around here have sanitizer next to the meat department.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

I am sure that does happen Callisto. There are many other nasty things that happen too, like Sally picks out some chicken then when in the soda isle decided she does not want it anymore. She is lazy and decided to just place it next to the Pepsi instead of walking it back to the cooler. Hours pass and then the store employee who is paid minimum wage and could care less puts the package back in the cooler.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
You know some lettuces cook up really well (as in grill or pan fry), so you could have gone down that path. Likewise lettuce soup - not quite boiled salad but not far off.

That's what I was thinking, an opportunity to try Fried or Stewed Salad. Just heat to 165 f for 15 seconds or more.

About cleaning, all my vegetables, fresh herbs, etc, go into a salt water bath and are then thoroughly rinsed. When I first started bathing the greens to kill and remove parasites I was surprised? Shocked? at how brown the water was (at times). Also I seem to have gotten more parasites years ago. That makes me wonder about the pesticides used today. Seems to me the closer to 'organically grown' you get the more there is a need for the salt bath.

About fruit, I look at apples, plumbs, grapes, tomatoes, and so forth, and have the compulsion to run them through a soap bath. Some day that feeling will grab hold of me and I'll actually use soap and water.

The 'they" "wash" apples (and other fruit) then give them a dose of wax to make 'them' pretty. Problem is if the fruit isn't completely clean before waxing it seems to me the wax would seal in any nastiness.

I think I'll stop before I tangent deeper into the pesticide thing.

Yes, I AM O.C.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I'll one up your "devil's advocate" ~ how does anyone know that Sally Shopper doesn't go from the meat department, get crap on her hands, and then touch half the barrel of lettuce heads or tomatoes finding her perfect one? Not many stores around here have sanitizer next to the meat department.

Thanks, I need to see this.

I'll up it even further.

How do you know ANY customer in ANY store washed their hands after doing their toilet paper work and touching ANYTHING?

You may think it was bad chicken that upset your tummy, in theory ot could have been from something somebody else touched at Macy's.

Not a happy thought.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Thanks, I need to see this.

I'll up it even further.

How do you know ANY customer in ANY store washed their hands after doing their toilet paper work and touching ANYTHING?

You may think it was bad chicken that upset your tummy, in theory it could have been from something somebody else touched at Macy's.

Not a happy thought.
Well, I'm all good because I only go to one store, the grocery. It's like taking a dog to the vet to get me to go shopping outside of grocery and household needs.

I'm a NASCAR fan, go to NASCAR races. I camp out at NASCAR races. I worked on a construction site where all you get is a big blue box. I am the opposite of a germaphobe. If I was, I'd never enjoy any of the things I do.