Turkey Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles

Assistant Cook
The turkey carcass is in the basement refirgerator since Thursday dinner.
I totally forgot. Can I still freeze for soup at a later date? It would be a shame to waste the broth, meat, etc...Can this be salvaged??
I was thinking: boil it, bone it, and freeze...

Good question.
I've eaten chicken that I have carved and plated, keeping it in the fridge, maybe up to five days after cooking. You are going to be boiling the heck out of that carcass.
If it was me, I would not freeze it, but I would boil it up right now if it smelled OK. I would not want to risk thawing it later.

Disclaimer: I know smelling is not an accurate indicator. I am not prone to getting sick.

I thank you for your replies. In my heart of hearts, I know it should be tossed.
I am just very angry at myself...

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat as you. I have to toss the turkey carcass as well. I had good intentions but time got away from me I guess. I will glumly shuffle my way to the fridge, pull it out and deposit it in the trash with my head hung low.

Is there any reason to believe that my ham bone with meat scraps is still salvagable? If not, it will be a double dose of shame for me.

I always felt guilty when that type of thing happens to me. Sometimes with a turkey carcass and sometimes with fresh veggies I bought and never used.

Snickerdoodle - I would use that hambone....The turkey thing is different for me because it's my daughter who wants it and she is pregnant....I can't risk her getting ill!!!

Ooops.

I just realized that I put mine in the freezer right after it was carved up and I forgot totallyabout it ...

Maybe we can start a freezer burn thread.

:LOL:

Once I totally forgot about some chicken wings that I was freezing on a sheet pan. Boy those things were freezer burned :( In under a week, too.

Maybe we can start a freezer burn thread.

:LOL:

Once I totally forgot about some chicken wings that I was freezing on a sheet pan. Boy those things were freezer burned :( In under a week, too.

Yeah. It's just in a bag. Guess that's this weekends task.

If it's freezerburned it'll still be good for stock.

snickerdoodle said:
If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat as you. I have to toss the turkey carcass as well. I had good intentions but time got away from me I guess. I will glumly shuffle my way to the fridge, pull it out and deposit it in the trash with my head hung low.

Is there any reason to believe that my ham bone with meat scraps is still salvagable? If not, it will be a double dose of shame for me.

Snickerdoodle, I would agree that your meaty hambone should be fine. Bring on the split peas!

Back
Top Bottom