Turkey Shelf Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach509

Assistant Cook
I have a lot of left over Thanksgiving turkey in my fridge. Do you think it is safe to eat 8 days in the fridge? :?:

Per Butterball:

Storing Leftovers
Keep these food safety tips in mind when storing your turkey leftovers:
Within two hours after roasting, remove stuffing from turkey and carve the meat off the bones, then store in refrigerator or freezer.
Wrap turkey slices and stuffing separately, and refrigerate and use within three days.
Use refrigerated gravy within three days.
Freeze leftovers if you plan to store them for a longer period of time. Wrap in heavy foil, freezer wrap or place in freezer container or freezer bags; for optimum taste, use stuffing within one month and turkey within two months.

Personally, I have often eaten turkey up to a week old in the past. Now, I immediately freeze what I won't eat in four or five days.

8 days is a bit too long, especially if it was handled a lot after it was removed from the oven. More handling means more bacteria a germ contamination.

Next time, freeze the leftovers that you can't eat within 3 or 4 days.

I stored my letover Turkey in a tuperware and last night made turkey tetrazinni...I'm here to tell you about it in the morning...but as a rule I think I pushed my luck...the fact that it was cooked again made me feel better. I'm very big on freezing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom