"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Several colubrids would take care of the rodents.

Craig
Half the state of Florida is covered in snakes. You name it, we have it. Snakes love Florida.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I love to watch Mother Nature at work. When I was younger and took hikes in the White Mountains, I used to turn over logs to see what was living under it. I also taught my Girl Scouts to do this. At first they were horrified at all the crawly things. Then their fascination grew. City kids. What do they know?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Half the state of Florida is covered in snakes. You name it, we have it. Snakes love Florida.
All of Florida has snakes. Some are colubrides, some are crotalids and one is an elapid, well at least the natives. Hurricane Andrew provided us with some unwanteds that have established themselves, including a very nasty varanid.

Craig
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Florida is having a very serious problem with really dangerous snakes that are multiplying faster than bunnies. Most of them are pets that have become too big to handle or are not wanted anymore.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
Master Chef

Get a cat. Doesn't matter if it's a good mouser or not. The mere presence of a cat will keep out a lot of varmints.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love to watch Mother Nature at work. When I was younger and took hikes in the White Mountains, I used to turn over logs to see what was living under it. I also taught my Girl Scouts to do this. At first they were horrified at all the crawly things. Then their fascination grew. City kids. What do they know?

When I was a Girl Sprout, I (suburban kid) was the one turning over the rocks and horrifying the grown ups. I learned to lift the far side of the rock. I remember lifting a rock and finding a rattler. It looked to be at least as scared as me. I put the rock back down, end of story. Well, there were some freaked out grown ups when I told them about it.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

When I was a Girl Sprout, I (suburban kid) was the one turning over the rocks and horrifying the grown ups. I learned to lift the far side of the rock. I remember lifting a rock and finding a rattler. It looked to be at least as scared as me. I put the rock back down, end of story. Well, there were some freaked out grown ups when I told them about it.
I've had quite a few times that I discovered a rattler on my current property. Nasty creatures. Plenty of them in the wild here. A friend of mine killed one that was HUGE. It was so large that he was holding its head above his own head level and its tail was still on the ground. The center of the snake was about a foot thick. Nasty, nasty, nasty!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I've had quite a few times that I discovered a rattler on my current property. Nasty creatures. Plenty of them in the wild here. A friend of mine killed one that was HUGE. It was so large that he was holding its head above his own head level and its tail was still on the ground. The center of the snake was about a foot thick. Nasty, nasty, nasty!
They are not nasty. They are only mean if you harass them. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

When I lived in the country, we had a great horned owl living in our "attic". We could hear it leave to go hunting on well lit nights. It used to help itself to the first bunny on the snare line. I'm glad it moved out in early spring. Apparently they are really good providers for their young and they keep a larder in their nest. Their favourite food is skunk.
I'm ok with this one just hanging out, and not actually living here. We still have a lot of Jack Rabbits, but have noticed a decline in the cotton tail population. Didn't think of that...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like snakes and spiders, not so much in the house probably. Add frogs and toads, walking sticks, and other creepy crawlies.

Love hearing the owls at night.