Vinegar and eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
i read somewhere about there being food safety with pickled eggs. i didn't catch where the safety issue is. in my case, i want only to let my peeled hard-boiled eggs sit in a tightly lidded container in the fridge with some vinegar :yum: throughout the week as i reach in and get some to eat throughout the same week i would not let them sit longer than 7 days as i figure anything beyond that could get a bit icky. are there any safety issues in any of what i have stated above? please also if you can give the source of your answer that would be nice too!

thanks!

I almost always have a jar of pickled eggs in the refrigerator. I use the juice from dill pickles, about 4 to a jar and they're gone in a week. I'm not going to worry about them, as I'm so old I remember huge jars of pickled eggs on the tops of bars and Deli's without any refrigeration at all.

i read somewhere about there being food safety with pickled eggs. please also if you can give the source of your answer that would be nice too! thanks!

Here is a source that you might like to read:
National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

It sounds as if this might be scientifically validated but, as I always do, I look for others also.

A couple of excerpts, but please read the entire article:

"Containers for the Eggs

The container used for the eggs should be one that can be closed or sealed tightly; glass canning jars work well. The eggs are to be completely covered with the pickling solution during storage. A quart-size canning jar will hold about one dozen medium sized eggs. For sterilizing glass jars, see Sterilization of Empty Jars.

Storing Eggs

After making the eggs, the eggs require some time to season (i.e., pick up the flavors from the pickling brine). Keep them refrigerated at all times. If small eggs are used, 1 to 2 weeks are usually allowed for seasoning to occur. Medium or large eggs may require 2 to 4 weeks to become well seasoned. Use the eggs within 3 to 4 months for best quality."

The food 'issue' might be mild or it might be botulism.

Now, you've got me interested in pickling some eggs. Sounds yummy.

I almost always have a jar of pickled eggs in the refrigerator. I use the juice from dill pickles, about 4 to a jar and they're gone in a week. I'm not going to worry about them, as I'm so old I remember huge jars of pickled eggs on the tops of bars and Deli's without any refrigeration at all.

I do the same thing!

Try them with a pod of red pepper or a teaspoon of pepper flakes for a spicy change!

Botulism shouldn't be a problem in vinegar. Botulism doesn't grow in an acid environment of pH of 4.6 or lower.

Botulism shouldn't be a problem in vinegar. Botulism doesn't grow in an acid environment of pH of 4.6 or lower.

True---- if stored correctly (refrigerated). One man died from botulism after eating his own pickled eggs BUT he hadn't stored them correctly, even though the pH of the pickling liquid was found to be 3.5

I ate pickled eggs a few times from that big jar on the counter at a bar, many years ago. But maybe I was also pickled at the time.:LOL:

I have pickled eggs with the remaining juice from jars of peppers.

I always just hard boiled them, cooled them and put them in and made sure they were covered with the juice. I would add garlic cloves, peppercorns and whatever looked good in there. Then into the fridge.
I would not touch them unless they were at least two -three weeks old. If you pull them out sooner, they just taste like hard boiled eggs.
And yes, I make them very spicy hot.

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know there were issues doing this.

Although pickled eggs are good, I like pickled onions better. I remember gallon jars of them from Maryland. Not those little cocktail onions either.

I try to buy 7% Acetic Acid Vinegar. Heinz makes it and calls it Pickling Vinegar. But you have to look for it. Not all grocers carry it. Some only carry it seasonally during the late summer and autumn 'pickling time'.

Back
Top Bottom