Wash Your Hands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HotnSpicy said:
I wash my hands so much since becoming a nurse, that I'm shocked to still have skin on them. And, I'm a big stickler on everyone in my home having clean hands, too. I find myself always on the prowl for new hand lotions to combat the harsh effects of some soaps, especially industrial soaps. If anyone has any hand lotion/cream suggestions, please share! :D

I buy Bath & Body Works products, no dry or scaly skin. They have especially fresh fragrances as well, especially now with the holiday oriented products.

Vegas Girl said:
I've seen people in pizza parlors making pizzas wearing gloves, then go check a customer out and handle money, then go back to making pizza.
What good do the gloves do then?

I saw a guy do that this last weekend. I said somethin about it too.

Have you ever been to a birthday party or wedding reception where the person who cut the cake would push the piece from the knife with their finger, lick the finger, and continue cutting and serving the cake. Real appetite looser this effort. But if someone is that stupid in this day and age, he would probably lick the glove too.

There's a product, known as "Bag Cream" (pictures of a cow's udder, to get you onto the track) that my wife uses for dry skin/cracking hands that may be of use to some of you...

"Anti-bacterialogical soaps", from my readings, do a fair job of killing off bacteria, given, of course, that you have it on for a couple MINUTES...

Rinsing and rubbing your hands with hot/warm water WITH soap, will make them slippery enough for the germs to slide off..."drying them" with a towel will likewise take a percentile of the "survivours" off by friction and simple "wiping" (remembering these are now in and on the towel!)

I doubt that this is an "exact science", and the truth may lie between the purists of handwashing and, say "oldcoot" who advised that exposure to some germs/bacteria/viruses, etc will assist the immune system through life in being able to build up the immunology of "low level doses"...

Likewise, when "sniffles and sneezes" start to perpetuate themselves in the house, its a good thought to get out the bucket of hot water, the Javex, and start washing door knobs, handrails, fridge/oven handles etc...

And for the most "gruesome" things to consider "touching"...telephone receivers, tv/vcr/DVD remotes, unwashed toothbrush stands (where did you think the "yuckies" went from your mouth, and where did you put them?), unchanged vaccuum bags...toilet handles, sink handles, dispenser tops of "pump bottles" of soap...I expect you get the idea! Worst sites? Hotel rooms! Sadly, the residences of the "elderly" who's "housecleaners" are engaged only periodically for limited time slots, and therefor do not get the thorough cleaning required in critical spaces, and whose eyesight may be suspect...

One of the "greater gifts" one might give oneself or give to a parent or grandparent, might be to go to their home and really thoroughly "Sgt Major Party" the premises...there'd be nothing sadder than losing an aged relative from this year's "flu"...and besides, wouldn't they be "happy" that you would do this for them, and delighted with the "clean fresh smell" that met them each new morning? One of my siblings' "gift" to my Dad, the last surviving Grandparent....

Lifter

(Audeo would bear me out in SPADES on this one, I truly believe!)

Thank you all for the dry hand lotion/cream suggestions. I really do appreciate it, and I'll definitely be checking into ALL of them......a lil' Christmas present to myself. ;) :D :D

Hey, HotnSpicy, reference your closing tag...

"If at first you don't succeed, don't try parachuting!"

Lifter

I have gone to the extreme and washed my hands with bleach after workin with an infected patient or family member.

As you learned from your first semester microbiology class (if you were in a nursing or allied health program) ... soap is antibacterial - not antiviral. Plain old hand soap, with warm-hot water, will kill 70% of the bacteria on your hands in 30 seconds ... 80-90% in 1 minute. When scrubbing for surgery with pHisoHex or betadine (for 5-minutes) about 95-98%.

Antibiotics don't kill a viral infection ... they are a waste of money, can cause an immunity later on ... but they can prevent a secondary bacterial infection if the virus weakens the immune system sufficiently.

If there is an antiviral soap I would love to know about it.

Rubber/plastic gloves ... what a joke. I've seen people pull the gloves out of the box, putting their hands all over them, so they were no cleaner than the person's hands were in the first place. And, as someone noted, I've seen people think that as long as they had gloves on they could do anything and not pass on bugs ... they touched everything and did everything ... BUT THEY WERE WEARING GLOVES!!!!

There are two problems. The first is proper hand-washing .. and knowing when to go back over and wash your hands again. The other has to do with the mindset of managers .... if an employee has a viral infection they shouldn't be handling food.

Know what you'er talking about bang ... I worked with one of the first 5 AIDS patients in the US - before we even knew what AIDS was .... 10 minute scub going in ... 10 minute scub exiting ... every hour .... 16-hours a day for 12 days. Ever wash your hands with Cidex?

Lifter said:
There's a product, known as "Bag Cream" (pictures of a cow's udder, to get you onto the track) that my wife uses for dry skin/cracking hands that may be of use to some of you...

What I get is probably the same thing but it is called "Bag Balm" & it is acctually for cow's udders. I love the syuff & it works wonders! There is lotion next to both sinks in my house & in the bedroom & den. The last thing I do before leaving the kitchen & washing my hands is put on lotion. I have an addiction to it I think. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom