"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #21
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotnSpicy
I wash my hands so much since becoming a nurse, that I'm shocked to still have skin on them. And, I'm a big stickler on everyone in my home having clean hands, too. I find myself always on the prowl for new hand lotions to combat the harsh effects of some soaps, especially industrial soaps. If anyone has any hand lotion/cream suggestions, please share! :D
I buy Bath & Body Works products, no dry or scaly skin. They have especially fresh fragrances as well, especially now with the holiday oriented products.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:21 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Girl
I've seen people in pizza parlors making pizzas wearing gloves, then go check a customer out and handle money, then go back to making pizza.
What good do the gloves do then?
I saw a guy do that this last weekend. I said somethin about it too.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #23
Certified Executive Chef

Have you ever been to a birthday party or wedding reception where the person who cut the cake would push the piece from the knife with their finger, lick the finger, and continue cutting and serving the cake. Real appetite looser this effort. But if someone is that stupid in this day and age, he would probably lick the glove too.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:19 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

i have been to bulemic stag party, where the cake pops out of the girl...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #25
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i have been to bulemic stag party, where the cake pops out of the girl...
Buckytom, who is your writer? He needs a raise.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:23 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, not sure if that's a compliment, or you mean i need new writers???????????

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #27
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
lol, not sure if that's a compliment, or you mean i need new writers???????????
Not need new ones, that was a compliment.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #28

There's a product, known as "Bag Cream" (pictures of a cow's udder, to get you onto the track) that my wife uses for dry skin/cracking hands that may be of use to some of you...

"Anti-bacterialogical soaps", from my readings, do a fair job of killing off bacteria, given, of course, that you have it on for a couple MINUTES...

Rinsing and rubbing your hands with hot/warm water WITH soap, will make them slippery enough for the germs to slide off..."drying them" with a towel will likewise take a percentile of the "survivours" off by friction and simple "wiping" (remembering these are now in and on the towel!)

I doubt that this is an "exact science", and the truth may lie between the purists of handwashing and, say "oldcoot" who advised that exposure to some germs/bacteria/viruses, etc will assist the immune system through life in being able to build up the immunology of "low level doses"...

Likewise, when "sniffles and sneezes" start to perpetuate themselves in the house, its a good thought to get out the bucket of hot water, the Javex, and start washing door knobs, handrails, fridge/oven handles etc...

And for the most "gruesome" things to consider "touching"...telephone receivers, tv/vcr/DVD remotes, unwashed toothbrush stands (where did you think the "yuckies" went from your mouth, and where did you put them?), unchanged vaccuum bags...toilet handles, sink handles, dispenser tops of "pump bottles" of soap...I expect you get the idea! Worst sites? Hotel rooms! Sadly, the residences of the "elderly" who's "housecleaners" are engaged only periodically for limited time slots, and therefor do not get the thorough cleaning required in critical spaces, and whose eyesight may be suspect...

One of the "greater gifts" one might give oneself or give to a parent or grandparent, might be to go to their home and really thoroughly "Sgt Major Party" the premises...there'd be nothing sadder than losing an aged relative from this year's "flu"...and besides, wouldn't they be "happy" that you would do this for them, and delighted with the "clean fresh smell" that met them each new morning? One of my siblings' "gift" to my Dad, the last surviving Grandparent....

Lifter

(Audeo would bear me out in SPADES on this one, I truly believe!)
Old 12-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #29
Cook

Thank you all for the dry hand lotion/cream suggestions. I really do appreciate it, and I'll definitely be checking into ALL of them......a lil' Christmas present to myself. :D :D
Old 12-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #30

Hey, HotnSpicy, reference your closing tag...

"If at first you don't succeed, don't try parachuting!"

Lifter