Wash Your Hands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lifter said:
There's a product, known as "Bag Cream" (pictures of a cow's udder, to get you onto the track) that my wife uses for dry skin/cracking hands that may be of use to some of you...

Lifter that bag cream is good stuff. It's original use was on the prarie for the teats of the cows in winter and when they were full of milk and dragging over rocks and dried from heat or cold. A friend of a friend in Wyoming owns a ranch and uses it all year for his cattle. Can is pink and green

I purchased the Bag Balm, yesterday......excellent stuff!!!! And a really nice sized tin for the money! Thanks again for the suggestions! :D

Y'know, that stuff is great, but make sure you don't get it on any more tender bits of yourself if you know what I mean. I was told once to put it under my nose when I had a cold and let me tell you...IT HURT! I had the smoothest skin the next day, but I felt like someone had burned all the flesh off my nose in the process.

Oh yes, my recommendation for dry hands is Glysomed cream in the tube. Not the body lotion, the cream. Best stuff going. Anyone with dry feet could try Gehwol, it is darned near miraculous.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment made by Eucerin is another great one! A little goes a very long way & it's best to use it before you go to bed & put on a pair od white cotton gloves if you have them. This lets it soak in overnight.

i'm really surprised no one has mentioned shea butter besides me. my wife and one of my sisters swear by it.

i always wash my hands really well, all throughout coooking, and not the quick rinse ttv chefs do. i actually use soap and rinse well.

A 30-minute cooking show, by the time you take out commercials, is about 20-22 minutes. If a chef spent 5 minutes washing their hands on air ... 3-4 times ...... what would be left?

TV chefs are giving cooking demonstrations on techniques, ingredients, and possibly plating ideas ... not instructions on how to wash your hands.

"emeril" has been known to do a "thorough" washing on camera on occaision...can't say I've seen the same from any other "chef"...

As much as Emeril seems to get "beat up" here and elsewhere, he does point that out!

Lifter

Speaking of TV chefs, have any of you seen Wolfgang Puck cook? His hands are constantly going from the food to his mouth. In one show, he'd touch the item, lick his fingers, touch the next one, lick his fingers, touch the third. This went on for the several items he was removing from a pan!

I can't even imagine why anyone would even think of putting together a meal, or eating food without washing their hands first. I don't think most people realize the bacteria that you can spread around if you don't wash first. The first thing I do when going to a restaurant is wash my hands AFTER I read the menu. Lord knows how many people have handled and sneezed or coughed on that meny.

My daughter in law never washes her hands before eating or preparing any meal and never thinks about the fact that she is constantly petting her dog, playing with the TV remote, and touching almost anything before she prepares a meal. When I eat there, I make sure I take over her job and she's glad to let me do it. Me too. I shudder to think of what goes on in restaurant kitchens. AAACCCKKKKK!

Last edited:
I shudder to think of what goes on in restaurant kitchens. AAACCCKKKKK!

Any restaurant kitchen I have ever been in is quite aware of washing hands and knows the responsibility of cooking someone else's food. Those things are drilled into you. But the fact is we all know that is not 100% the case 100% of the time. So...you either stay home where you know you have cooked/handled it properly or just sit back and enjoy the fact that someone else has cooked you a meal that is simply divine! and hope the germs have cooked off :LOL:

I've seen people in pizza parlors making pizzas wearing gloves, then go check a customer out and handle money, then go back to making pizza.
What good do the gloves do then?
I keeps that greasy old sauce from getting under your fingernails.

We always wash our hands before eating or preparing foods because we mainly use our right hand for eating.

It is also considered that having long fingernails is unhygienic and we generally dont apply nailpolish in our hands.

Humans are the only known hosts. The viruses are passed in the stool of infected persons.

So the only way to get this virus is by eating the poop of a infected human.

Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses have been linked to outbreaks of intestinal illness on cruise ships and in communities, camps, schools, institutions, and families.

Which means there are whole groups of people being fed human poop.

Schools? Institutions? I wonder what the common factor/ carrier could be.

:rolleyes:

I don't know about the rest of you but I have to wonder about an adult who needs told to wash their hands after sitting on the pot.

I myself wash up every time I exit the 'facility', and numerous times thereafter.

About 'show chefs', sure they are not shown washing their hands. As has been mentioned it would take too much time out in the show.

I see them doing a whole lot of other things they shouldn't be doing. IE: The comments on Puck.

Back
Top Bottom