"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 12-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #51
Master Chef
i always wash my hands really well, all throughout coooking, and not the quick rinse ttv chefs do. i actually use soap and rinse well.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 PM   #52
Master Chef
A 30-minute cooking show, by the time you take out commercials, is about 20-22 minutes. If a chef spent 5 minutes washing their hands on air ... 3-4 times ...... what would be left?

TV chefs are giving cooking demonstrations on techniques, ingredients, and possibly plating ideas ... not instructions on how to wash your hands.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:32 AM   #53
"emeril" has been known to do a "thorough" washing on camera on occaision...can't say I've seen the same from any other "chef"...

As much as Emeril seems to get "beat up" here and elsewhere, he does point that out!

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:00 AM   #54
Sous Chef
Speaking of TV chefs, have any of you seen Wolfgang Puck cook? His hands are constantly going from the food to his mouth. In one show, he'd touch the item, lick his fingers, touch the next one, lick his fingers, touch the third. This went on for the several items he was removing from a pan!
Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #55
Master Chef
I do wash my hands and also use food service gloves for prep. better to be safe than sorry.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #56
Head Chef
I can't even imagine why anyone would even think of putting together a meal, or eating food without washing their hands first. I don't think most people realize the bacteria that you can spread around if you don't wash first. The first thing I do when going to a restaurant is wash my hands AFTER I read the menu. Lord knows how many people have handled and sneezed or coughed on that meny.

My daughter in law never washes her hands before eating or preparing any meal and never thinks about the fact that she is constantly petting her dog, playing with the TV remote, and touching almost anything before she prepares a meal. When I eat there, I make sure I take over her job and she's glad to let me do it. Me too. I shudder to think of what goes on in restaurant kitchens. AAACCCKKKKK!
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I shudder to think of what goes on in restaurant kitchens. AAACCCKKKKK!
Any restaurant kitchen I have ever been in is quite aware of washing hands and knows the responsibility of cooking someone else's food. Those things are drilled into you. But the fact is we all know that is not 100% the case 100% of the time. So...you either stay home where you know you have cooked/handled it properly or just sit back and enjoy the fact that someone else has cooked you a meal that is simply divine! and hope the germs have cooked off

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #58
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by Vegas Girl View Post
I've seen people in pizza parlors making pizzas wearing gloves, then go check a customer out and handle money, then go back to making pizza.
What good do the gloves do then?
I keeps that greasy old sauce from getting under your fingernails.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #59
Sous Chef
We always wash our hands before eating or preparing foods because we mainly use our right hand for eating.

It is also considered that having long fingernails is unhygienic and we generally dont apply nailpolish in our hands.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #60
Sous Chef
Humans are the only known hosts. The viruses are passed in the stool of infected persons.

So the only way to get this virus is by eating the poop of a infected human.

Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses have been linked to outbreaks of intestinal illness on cruise ships and in communities, camps, schools, institutions, and families.
Which means there are whole groups of people being fed human poop.

Schools? Institutions? I wonder what the common factor/ carrier could be.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have to wonder about an adult who needs told to wash their hands after sitting on the pot.

I myself wash up every time I exit the 'facility', and numerous times thereafter.

About 'show chefs', sure they are not shown washing their hands. As has been mentioned it would take too much time out in the show.

I see them doing a whole lot of other things they shouldn't be doing. IE: The comments on Puck.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote