"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 AM   #21
Sous Chef

I have kept chickens for eggs. Excess roosters and layers that quit laying go to the kitchen, but it never occurred to me to wash a chicken, and I don't think the chickens would much like it. Probably make them stop laying, at least for a while.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I have kept chickens for eggs. Excess roosters and layers that quit laying go to the kitchen, but it never occurred to me to wash a chicken, and I don't think the chickens would much like it. Probably make them stop laying, at least for a while.

My sister and I were respectively 4 & 5 years old........we decided to give two of my grandmother's free-ranging hens a bath......my mother had just taken our brother out of the tub but forgot to drain it........we both rushed outside and scooped up a chicken....we brought them back into the house and threw them into the tub......let's just say that they didn't appreciate it one bit........feathers and flying poop went everywhere..........they were squawking with fear and indignation.....trust me they can fly........my grandmother couldn't believe it.........she managed to grab ahold of them and took them back to their free-ranging ways............she was NOT happy........but years later she would laugh until she cried retelling the story.........I think that we kept her young..........

Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #23
Master Chef

I used to raise chickens too. Just for the eggs & as pets & gardening companions. Never ate them. Don't want that type of intimate relationship with my food - lol! Once I've given something a name, I don't want it looking up at me from a plate.

Folks who raise poultry for show do wash them. In fact, poultry supply companies actually carry specific products for it.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #24
Senior Cook

I always soak chicken in a big stainless steel bowl in cold water with salt and vinegar and leave it in that solution for about half an hour. I rinse it off, pat it dry and wash out the sink and bowl in hot soapy water with a little clorox. Vinegar is a disinfectant, and quite honestly, I'm not as put off by the smell of raw chicken after I soak it in this solution.

To each his own. A woman from Jamaica taught me that, and I think she grew up doing it because they killed their own chickens. I just got in the habit now and I always do it. Sometimes raw chicken feels slimy when you take it out of the packaging. I can't stand that. I singe the hair on chicken wings. I don't like hairy chicken.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1948 View Post
I don't like hairy chicken.
That means you don't eat KFC? Its shocking that their wings have lots of hair on them!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Sometime I wash chicken sometimes I don't but if it's a whole chicken or turkey I definitely wash the cavity to get rid of the extra blood and bits and pieces inside I then dry inside with paper towels.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizman View Post
That means you don't eat KFC? Its shocking that their wings have lots of hair on them!
I don't eat KFC. You could give their chicken a perm. It is quite hairy!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #28
Master Chef

Wow - you guys must have some really funky KFC's by you.

We have it once in awhile here & I've yet to come across any pinfeathers whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Actually, I sometimes do and sometimes don't. Never wash BS chicken breasts or parts. If they look like they have something a little foreign on them, then I would use a paper towel.

The whole chickens that I buy (At Walmart) are always sitting is at least a cup of bloody fluid. It is impossible to remove the chicken from the package without spilling this mess in the sink, and thats where I want it anyway. At that point, carefully washing the chicken and patting dry with paper towel seems more sensible to me than placing the dripping chicken somewhere else.

Either way, understanding the risks of salmonella and how it can be transferred from the chicken to you or your family is the best protection.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Well, 'Supermarket' chicken I never wash, but there are times while I am in Kenya and we have to select one in the garden for dinner and run after it and catch it and and and kill it! We certainly have wash it, well first we have to put it in boiling water to pluck it, then cut parts and just have to make sure the gallbladder does not burst and so the bile goes all over the chicken, then the gizzard had to be washed anyway. Basically we have to wash the chicken before cooking.