"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Wow - you guys must have some really funky KFC's by you.

We have it once in awhile here & I've yet to come across any pinfeathers whatsoever.
I'm not talking about pinfeathers, I'm talking about hair. You can pluck pinfeathers, you have to singe hair.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1948 View Post
I'm not talking about pinfeathers, I'm talking about hair. You can pluck pinfeathers, you have to singe hair.
Are you complaining about the cleanliness in regards to workers as opposed to the actual chicken?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #33
Master Chef

Oh for heavens sake - pinfeathers, hair, whatever (oh & by the way, chickens don't have "hair"). The chicken at the KFC's around here are CLEAN of any skin projections. Does that do it for you as far as explanation? Geesh.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Oh for heavens sake - pinfeathers, hair, whatever (oh & by the way, chickens don't have "hair"). The chicken at the KFC's around here are CLEAN of any skin projections. Does that do it for you as far as explanation? Geesh.
The bold part is where I'm confused. I thought she was talking about like the workers' hair falling into the food or something.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
The bold part is where I'm confused. I thought she was talking about like the workers' hair falling into the food or something.
She was talking about the finer pin feathers - more hairlike than the larger pin feathers.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni View Post
Well, 'Supermarket' chicken I never wash, but there are times while I am in Kenya and we have to select one in the garden for dinner and run after it and catch it and and and kill it! We certainly have wash it, well first we have to put it in boiling water to pluck it, then cut parts and just have to make sure the gallbladder does not burst and so the bile goes all over the chicken, then the gizzard had to be washed anyway. Basically we have to wash the chicken before cooking.
boy are you bringing up memories when we used to visit my grandmother!!! I remember my grandma doing the same thing, Jikoni......she had a big porcelain pan and a huge kettle of hot water.......she'd pour it all over the dead chicken and just start plucking away......actually I still remember the smell and that was about 50 years ago....soak your feather pillow in hot water and do a sniff test.......this would be on a Saturday......she'd cut it up and put it in the fridge......Sunday morning it would go in salt water (brining) and we'd all go to Mass.........after an hour and a half (had to wait for everyone to comment how much we looked like our dad, Billy, etc......and as soon as we arrived home, Granma, would get out of her church clothes, housedress on, and then an apron........her fried chicken was to die for.....mashed potatos......fresh green beans from the garden and her homemade bread.......
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Interesting. I always washed chicken but now I am doubting if I should be doing this. Makes sense.
yeah i also wash chicken, but i think ill take the advice and reconsider. It makes sense that the water can spread the bacteria onto counter top and etc.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #38
Master Chef

I can't promote clorox cleanup enough----------in addition to being a general cleaning/disinfectant I always use it after working with meats and fish.......everything is sprayed down: sink(s), wash pans, and countertop, cutting boards(let set for a few minutes and then wipe away with a damp clean cloth)......you can find the offshoot brands at any of the dollar stores, too.........I also wash my dish cloths frequently to prevent cross contamination and will spray those down with cc--no they don't last long but you can buy the cheap bundles of washcloths.........when storing meats and poultry in your fridge you should be sure that they are on the bottom shelf with no other foods under them....I'm sure our chefs chefs and axillary food staff people wil tell you that's one thing that most bulldog health inspectors check for in addition to making sure that everthing is at proper temps...but yes, I still wash off my chicken