"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm pretty sure washing dishes in cold water with detergent would be just as effective sanitizing your dishes as hot water. The best way to kill germs is through soap and friction. I think the reason automatic dishwashers have hot water is because there is no hand friction to scrub the dishes so the hotter water loosens the debris so the jets can wash it away. Also, heated water aids in faster drying so less spotting.

The key is to getting dishes clean and germ free is to scrub and rinse well. Surgeons often scrub up with lukewarm or cold water but they scrub for a set number of minutes and rinse well under running water.

But it's yucky to have your hands in cold dishwater so I use hot, too.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Most dishwashers do not get hot enough to sanitize dishes. The dishwasher detergent does that, and the temperature is not all that important.

Washing dishes by hand does not sanitize them unless you use a chlorine bath after rinsing.

The good news is clean dishes are not a viable source of pathogens because they lack the moisture to support growth and will die off quickly without moisture and food.

Washing in cold, warm or hot water is fine. Let the dishes air dry. The reason most use hot water is the dishes air dry faster.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

I had so many reasons why cold water would be just as useful as normal hot-tap water for washing dishes. But all my ideas are already covered. But, aha, I am Goodweed. So I have to add something usefull.

The friction and soap do not kill the pthogens. That is a comonly held mistake. Rather, the soap acts as a sufactant, lifting and removing the nasties from the dishes. It's the same with ordinary, non-anti-bacterial handsoap. It doesn't kill the germs so much as it allows them to be washed down the drain. And, as a matter of fact, it has been theorized for many years that anti-bacterial soaps are not only no more effective than ordinary soap, but tend to create super bugs that are resistant to current germ and bacterial killing agents. It is no longer a theory. The super bugs that hit the Eastern states this year are directly attributable to misused anti-bacterial soaps that weren't used in a strong enough solution to completely do the job. The surviving critters mutated as they multiplied and gave birth to nastier naties.

Anti-bacterial soaps are dangerous. Don't use them. Also, if you have a well and septic system, they can mess up the septic system and cause you expensive problems down the road.

Scientists have been telling us this for a decade now. But the advertizers play the game of creating germaphobia through their advertisements so that we will purchase their product rather than someone else's. It's not about our well being, it's about money.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I go along with the effect on bacteria, but will add that when I do comparisons, hot water cleans much better and much easier.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
I go along with the effect on bacteria, but will add that when I do comparisons, hot water cleans much better and much easier.
You are absolutely correct. I didn't mean to infer that washing the dishes was easier in cold water. That would just be wrong.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Anti-bacterial soaps are dangerous. Don't use them. Also, if you have a well and septic system, they can mess up the septic system and cause you expensive problems down the road.
Huh?! I didn't know this or ever hear of it.
Does it take years and years? I always buy anti-bacterial dish soap and use it to wash my hands with, too

How long do I have?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I don't know how cold water gets grease, let alone germs off anything. My hands can't take straight hot water from my faucet, so a dishwasher they will go, will go. (I waited 40 years for mine. I'd rather not eat than not have it now - hate, hate, hate doing dishes!!!!)
I do remember reading a long time ago some ratio like 1 tsp of bleach to a gallon of water to make it drinkable in the wilds to prevent Montezuma's Revenge. But not a bleach substitute
Tell me something, when was the last time you ate at her house?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
Master Chef

I wash with cold in the sink, more to save money on electric and to conserve. I have not had any problems.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
What do you guys think? I could never eat off a utensils that weren't cleaned in super hot water. It grosses me out, but maybe I'm just paranoid.
I think you're paranoid.

Mozart is correct, washing dishes in cold, warm or hot water is fine. Come to think of it, this is one way to conserve energy, good idea sattie!!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Huh?! I didn't know this or ever hear of it.
Does it take years and years? I always buy anti-bacterial dish soap and use it to wash my hands with, too

How long do I have?
Hey pacanis, I've known this for quite some time. Anti-bacterial soaps actually cause you to build resistance to certain things and I prefer not to use them. Since a septic system relies on enzymes to perpetuate the cycle, using an anti-bacterial which kills the enzymes would make sense that it slows the cycle down (this being "in theory" as I've never had a septic system).

I would never use anti-bacterial soaps on a daily basis. Our bodies don't do well with them.