"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
That's the best advice yet! And if you accidentally fall in your sink and suck in a bunch of water - it'll be good for you too!
Multi-tasking dishwater. I love it.

Reading all this, which mostly makes sense, I now realize all the wasted effort of heating up the water on camping trips to wash the dishes in.

If I'm washing a pan or two I always rinse with hot water. It heats up the item and evaporates off quickly. Letting me put it away more quickly.

Farmers and chemicals. That's an interesting topic. I was pulling fallen branches out of my little feeder creek the other week and the thing reeked. It was running pretty good and with the recently melted snow and rains you would think the water would be "fresh". Not the case. It gets a lot of runoff from the vinyards up the road, but they haven't started spraying yet
When they do spray, across the road and directly upwind of me, the farmer wears one of those white tyvek (sp?) suits, goggles and particle mask. Here I am a hundred yards away with the white dust blowing right at me..... That has me a little concerned. I guess being farmers they don't have to wait for a windless day, but let me buy some Trimec from the local co-op and I get a lecture about spraying when the wind isn't blowing so the grape vines don't suffer any ill effects

But anyway.....

Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
I wash my dishes in cold water with just some washing up liquid added.
It is OK for at home but I would not like if a restaurant did it.

Mel
Why is it OK for home, but not for a restaurant?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #43
Senior Cook

[quote=Maverick2272;590899]
Ever seen a river where this stuff runs off into? Filled with the foam... yick. Iquote]

Often this is caused by natural plant decomposition.

Lake Foam
Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #44
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
DW took the cap off an old bottle of TB cleaner and re-filled it, that is what I use now. Otherwise getting under the rim would drive me nuts as well! She did the same with the rest of her mixes keeping the spray bottles and labeling them with a black magic marker.
Good tip! Maybe I'll try that when I run out.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #45
Head Chef

[QUOTE=mozart;590965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Ever seen a river where this stuff runs off into? Filled with the foam... yick. Iquote]

Often this is caused by natural plant decomposition.

Lake Foam
I always knew it as "Indian Soap". Gawd, maybe I'm showing my age.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Why is it OK for home, but not for a restaurant?

Because of the number of people your putting at risk.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #47
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Because of the number of people your putting at risk.
That makes no sense. As has been stated earlier, the temp of the water does not play any role in killing the nasties. Washing in cold water gets your dishes just as clean as washing in hot so you are not putting any more people at risk.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #48
Head Chef

Interesting discussion and probably no need for me to weigh in, but here goes. I did graduate work in public health about 30 years ago, and the word we got was that friction is the primary remover of bacteria, followed by soap, which does act as a surfactant...as everyone has said, if your dishwater were hot enough to kill germs, it would peel the skin off your hands. That said, I don't have a dishwasher either, and my dishes degrease and dry faster if I use hot water. Besides, it feels good.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Originally Posted by Mel!
I wash my dishes in cold water with just some washing up liquid added.
It is OK for at home but I would not like if a restaurant did it.

Mel

"Why is it OK for home, but not for a restaurant?"

Their may be some misunderstanding here. What Mel said is not OK in a restaurant. Regulations require either a commercial dishwasher that can raise temps high enough to sanitize must be used or the dishes must be hand sanitized in bleach after rinsing. The temperature of the water is irrelevant to sanitizing and as has been pointed out, higher temps in the sanitize sink will cause the chlorine to dissipate faster.

The issue is not putting more people at risk. The issue is there are more people potentially depositing pathogenic bacteria on dishes. This happens mainly when folks infected during colds, flu, strep throat and such. Also, and maybe even more important, restaurant workers are not known to be careful about getting dishes real clean. Sanitizing dishes will kill bacteria on even a dirty dish.

Whether it is OK at home, is a judgment call, in my opinion. I do find myself being more careful with many things when there is illness in the house. I think most will agree that it is harder to get dishes clean in cold water.

On the other hand, in SW Florida where I live, cold water comes out of the tap at 80 degree and has to be run a while just to get it down that low.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That makes no sense.
Neither does washing in cold water if hot is available.

People can do whatever they want at home.

That includes letting the dog lick'em clean. Why even bother with that? It's dry and not growing anything.

But if your working in a facility that feeds the 'masses' why run the risk of cleaning and leaving crud on an item?

Don't know about you but I wouldn't feel comfortable eating in an establishment that does not follow the minimums of time and temperature.

The higher the temperature of the wash water the less time and effort is needed to remove crud. And you really do want clean plates. ?

To further reduce risk tot he populace there are sanitation protocols. Long as the crud stuck to something is thin and porous enoufgh to allow the sanitizer to penetrate the crud then I guess not having cleaned stuff is OK.

Now if your just talking theory I guess washing in cold water is ok, long as there is a sanitizing detergent being used, or a proper sanitizing agent used post washing. But you know what they say about theory and practice.