"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #31
Head Chef

Which was washed first, the chicken or the egg?

(jeekinz called me a FREAK!)

Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #32
Head Chef

An egg thread, and I haven't contributed yet!! My excuse is that I have been out of town.

I have about 30 hens, and I worked for a while as a poultry grader, grading eggs and chicken.

Commercial enterprises do wash the eggs, and washed eggs must be refrigerated. Unwashed eggs will last an amazingly long time in a cool place. My eggs always seem to be dirty--maybe I need to tidy up the hen house.

When you wash eggs, wash them with a drop of dishsoap and WARM water. Sounds counterintuitive, but cold water makes the eggshell contract, which may draw bacteria into the egg.

If you have fresh eggs, and you want to make hard cooked eggs, you need to wash the eggs and then let them sit in the fridge for at least a week. Fresh, unwashed eggs will NOT peel.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
If you have fresh eggs, and you want to make hard cooked eggs, you need to wash the eggs and then let them sit in the fridge for at least a week. Fresh, unwashed eggs will NOT peel.
Boy - when I had my hens, did I learn THAT lesson the hard way - lol!! Nothing like watching a couple of dozen hard-boiled eggs destined for Deviled Eggs quickly turn into egg salad in the blink of an eye. Not to mention, having my own hens, how depressing it was having to then send husband out to BUY eggs (which are always older) so I could start over & ultimately accomplish the party task I was assigned.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

I know we must washing the eggs before eating. I don't know why washing them before putting in the fridge
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoooer View Post
I know we must washing the eggs before eating. I don't know why washing them before putting in the fridge
Well, I have to admit, that over here in KZ along with the free ranging chickens you are going to get free-ranging poop on your eggs............I don't wash them until I'm ready to use them.......they stay in cartons (there are 10 or 6 to choose from usually) until I'm ready to handle them and they go into a bowl with a combo of suds and a bit of chlorine.........and throwaway gloves and some washing with a paper towel and a total disinfection of the sink afterwards.........oh, and I do the water test, too........lays flat on the bottom--fresh, lays straight-end up but still on the bottom, still usable, floats---throw it out..............
Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Which was washed first, the chicken or the egg?

(jeekinz called me a FREAK!)
Surely you've heard the story of my sister and I grabbing up two "range-roaming" chickens out of my grandmother's flock who had gathered for the evening mash..........baby brother had just left his bath and my sister and I grabbed up two them and brought them in and threw them in to the tub..........ye want to talk about free ranging swimming.........poop and feathers went free ranging everywhere...........along with their protesting squawkings......ye thought they would have been appreciative..........but, no, they were not and neither was my German grandmother.........what kept her from smiting us is beyond me............years later she loved to retell the story and tears would run down her face from sheer laughter........that's why God gave us Grandmoms............:)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #37
Head Chef

expat, too funny!