Washing eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Andy for looking up the site for me.
And Thanks, Breezycooking for the info. I had never heard that many people talk about which way they did. Take it out or leave it. I guess it doesn't really matter does it?

Schoolgirl, the white thingy in an egg is called "Chalazae'. These two whitish cords center the yolk between the two ends.

For custards and sauces, they should be strained out so they don't mar the finish of the dish. other wise, who cares.

Another little observation is that the more prominent the chalazae, the fresher the egg.

I got this from a Cooks Illustrated article MAR/APR 2003 pg 16 'Eggs101'. I did remember it because my sister went to great lengths to try to convince me it was the part from the Rooster. I copied the article and sent it to her. Never heard back on the subject. Ain't sibling rivalry fun!

Several of you have wrote some info I did not know. I have learned quite a bit in the last couple of days about eggs. I am not going to wash them off,just wipe them. I won't worry if I leave them out of the fridge for a while. And I won't look at the little "white glob" the same any more. Thanks everyone. I still say this is the best website for getting replies of anywhere.

My goodness, you people know a lot about eggs that I had never even heard, and I have always lived in the country. Let me ask another question that I have heard different opinions on. When you crack an egg and it has that white glob on it do you take it off or use it in cooking? I usually try to get it out but a lot of people don't. What do you all do?:ermm: You probably are rolling on the floor laughing at my description , but hopefully you know what I am talking about(I just don't know what it is called)

you're not going to believe me but that's interesting.........thanks for taking the time to respond to my question

while you're still in school.......

love life to the fullest.
find a nice matey
you don't have to find him or her now but do be looking
you're a nice person........and mean something to others........

Constance - it obviously goes without saying that if an egg is encrusted with chicken poop it should be washed off before going into the fridge.

I believe what we're talking about here are a possible few smudges here & there. Those aren't going to endanger anyone's health if left in place until use.

Which was washed first, the chicken or the egg? ;):-p

(jeekinz called me a FREAK!):ohmy:

An egg thread, and I haven't contributed yet!! My excuse is that I have been out of town.

I have about 30 hens, and I worked for a while as a poultry grader, grading eggs and chicken.

Commercial enterprises do wash the eggs, and washed eggs must be refrigerated. Unwashed eggs will last an amazingly long time in a cool place. My eggs always seem to be dirty--maybe I need to tidy up the hen house. :ermm:

When you wash eggs, wash them with a drop of dishsoap and WARM water. Sounds counterintuitive, but cold water makes the eggshell contract, which may draw bacteria into the egg.

If you have fresh eggs, and you want to make hard cooked eggs, you need to wash the eggs and then let them sit in the fridge for at least a week. Fresh, unwashed eggs will NOT peel.

If you have fresh eggs, and you want to make hard cooked eggs, you need to wash the eggs and then let them sit in the fridge for at least a week. Fresh, unwashed eggs will NOT peel.

Boy - when I had my hens, did I learn THAT lesson the hard way - lol!! Nothing like watching a couple of dozen hard-boiled eggs destined for Deviled Eggs quickly turn into egg salad in the blink of an eye. Not to mention, having my own hens, how depressing it was having to then send husband out to BUY eggs (which are always older) so I could start over & ultimately accomplish the party task I was assigned. :rolleyes:

I know we must washing the eggs before eating. I don't know why washing them before putting in the fridge

I know we must washing the eggs before eating. I don't know why washing them before putting in the fridge

Well, I have to admit, that over here in KZ along with the free ranging chickens you are going to get free-ranging poop on your eggs............I don't wash them until I'm ready to use them.......they stay in cartons (there are 10 or 6 to choose from usually) until I'm ready to handle them and they go into a bowl with a combo of suds and a bit of chlorine.........and throwaway gloves and some washing with a paper towel and a total disinfection of the sink afterwards.........oh, and I do the water test, too........lays flat on the bottom--fresh, lays straight-end up but still on the bottom, still usable, floats---throw it out..............

Which was washed first, the chicken or the egg? ;):-p

(jeekinz called me a FREAK!):ohmy:
Surely you've heard the story of my sister and I grabbing up two "range-roaming" chickens out of my grandmother's flock who had gathered for the evening mash..........baby brother had just left his bath and my sister and I grabbed up two them and brought them in and threw them in to the tub..........ye want to talk about free ranging swimming.........poop and feathers went free ranging everywhere...........along with their protesting squawkings......ye thought they would have been appreciative..........but, no, they were not and neither was my German grandmother.........what kept her from smiting us is beyond me............years later she loved to retell the story and tears would run down her face from sheer laughter........that's why God gave us Grandmoms............:)

Back
Top Bottom