What About Those Dish Cloths?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They recommended something similar on How Clean is Your House. Keep a dishpan with bleach water in the sink after your done washing up the dishes and leave your dishcloth / sponge/ dishmop in there until you are ready to use it again.

I've worked in many kitchens that were inspected by the health department, plus my own catering business at one time...I continue to follow those rules.

My only problem with using bleach is I don't want to ruin my clothes (I have many that have "bleach" freckles). My solution has been to strip and go naked when I am tackling things with bleach...TMI, I know.

I have some clothes I sort of reserve for jobs that require chemicals. I thought I was weird when I realized that some of my friends are absolutely filthy. No wonder everyone wants to come to my house to eat.

TATTRAT said:
"Seems to" and knowing are two different things. . . sponges harbor a lot of nasties, and are more easily replaced, then really sanitizing and hanging onto, imo.

I don't use sponges nearly as much as I used to. I mostly stick with dish rags, dish towels, hand towels, and paper towels. I do still use an occasional sponge.

I have some clothes I sort of reserve for jobs that require chemicals. I thought I was weird when I realized that some of my friends are absolutely filthy. No wonder everyone wants to come to my house to eat.

I have my bathroom cleaning outfit...shorts and a sleeveless top and an old pair of crocs. Doesn't matter what splashes and I would never get caught wearing it outside, anyway. I'm too short to clean the tub from the outside, so I just climb in.

I'm tall, but even for me cleaning the tub from the outside can be back-breaking. I did buy one of those nylon scrubbers with an extendable handle, and it is perfect.

I learned early on to turn off the web cam feature on the computer. I have many pairs of scrubs that I wear around the house--doesn't matter if I get bleach/paint on those.

I have a Shark steamer. I use that for the shower. It is great. I also love my steam-n-vac for the floors and my Roomba for vacuuming. Can you tell I hate cleaning?

I hate cleaning too, CWS, but pain is the main reason now.

Why do they make brooms with 4' handles? You have to bend over in such a painful way to use them.

That's why I've now got a steam mop and a little featherweight stick vacuum. No bending, just swing my arm back and forth.:LOL:

Why do they make brooms with 4' handles? You have to bend over in such a painful way to use them.

That's why I've now got a steam mop and a little featherweight stick vacuum. No bending, just swing my arm back and forth.:LOL:

Because they're made in countries where only women clean house, and those women are rarely much over 5' tall. I'm tall (5'9") and wish I could beat someone to death with those short handles. I have to wonder? Do the same people who contract for those short-handled mops and brooms also sell Motrin? Because they sure as heck have me coming and going!

I would think the short handled brooms are for the dust pans that you don't need to bend over to use, that also have a four foot handle.
Either that of they are training brooms for future witches.

They don't.

My broom, I get these from the oriental market. Designed for 1 handed use and twice useful for cleaning up.

Attachments

• broom.jpg
    broom.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 238
Well that's a mighty nice looking broom for witch riding, now!

But, I'll stick with my featherweight. No dustpans necessary.

Geez, I thought I was AR about my dishcloth. Mine are changed pretty frequently, at least once a day or more often if they wipe up something like milk or meat blood. That is the end of the dishcloth at that point. I caught one of my kids wiping a juice spill on the floor and tossing the rag back into the sink! There was a bit of a freak out that day.

I have a laundry "pile" where dishrags/towels get tossed. The cloth napkins get tossed there too. The idea is that the next person going downstairs takes them down.

I'm a big fan of the homemade dishcloths too. I crochet mine, but have a couple of knitted ones. They are more durable and stand up to the bleach load much better than the others.

I use dishcloths, knitted or otherwise and or sponges w/scrubber attached, also have long handled scrubbers so I don't break a glass on my hand, and I use those Lysol/Clorox wipes on my counters, door knobs and handles (even good for those messy spills or drops on the floor) before and after cooking, lol....my hubby's a plumber and I have an autoimmune disease...can't be too careful 'round here, lol ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom