"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Food safety tip

I love my Lock'n Locks and track my left-overs by counting what containers I have not used. If I still have a bunch in the cabinet I know I'm not in left-over trouble.
My food safety tip: blue painter's tape. I keep a roll in my handiest drawer to label left-overs with contents and date. No guessing! When I change container sizes I simply strip off the tape and apply it to the new container. No left-overs go back into the fridge without a label.

Another tool I use a lot is the reusable/resealable vacuum bags. Perfect for cheese, bacon, sausage, and even a few veggies. Before trying these I was vacuum sealing everything with a Foodsaver; what a pain!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I really wanted a set of vintage tupperware measuring cups, you know the kind with the 2/3 cup, and the 3/4 cup measures that stack. My boss found me a set and I'm thrilled. I have a whole bunch of different measuring cups, but these are my favorites. I trust the measurements done with them. I have two sets of very similar stainless steel cups and noticed that one has slightly larger measures than the other. I was getting inconsistent oatmeal in the morning, sometimes dry (like I like it) and sometimes wet, and I started comparing cups and realized that the cheap set that looked like the better set was a larger measure!

When I see vintage tupperware in good condition in a thrift store, I buy it, if it's something I need. It seems to survive the dishwasher just fine.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I have two 30 gallon plastic trash bags full of tupperware that I cannot use because it takes up too much room in my pantry. Very disappointing but limited space. I bought some narrow stackable rubbermaids for my flours, sugars, etc. There is no way I am parting with my tupperware. I know its value.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
I have two 30 gallon plastic trash bags full of tupperware that I cannot use because it takes up too much room in my pantry. Very disappointing but limited space. I bought some narrow stackable rubbermaids for my flours, sugars, etc. There is no way I am parting with my tupperware. I know its value.

Actually, it's value is nil if you are not using it.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Of course that is true. But I refuse to let it go. I still may be able to use it someday and I would hate to have to purcha$e it again as there is no equal
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
When I sold Tupperware several years ago, one of the first things they taught us is that you don't loan Tupperware because you'll never get it back!
Barbara, my sister had a cabinet dedicated just to her Tupperware. She had a chart of the inside of the door and when she loaned or sent food out, she wrote down the name and date. When it came back she would cross it off. If it didn't come back in a reasonable time, she would track you down and get it back.

Personally, I hate plastic in my kitchen. I try to avoid it as much as I can. My daughter will send me a meal in one of her TW bowls, and I can't get it back to her fast enough. If you don't own a dishwasher, it is impossible to get it completely clean.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou
My favorite is the 1/2 gallon ice cream keeper. No more ice crystals on my ice cream.
This one is also my favorite! Works great! I have always liked Tupperware. They also make some pretty cool toys. The shape sorter has been around forever.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You and I sing off the same sheet of music so often. I feel that if you haven't used something in a couple of years, give it to Goodwill.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
You and I sing off the same sheet of music so often. I feel that if you haven't used something in a couple of years, give it to Goodwill.
And that goes for those clothes in the back of the closet you swear you are going to fit into again someday.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got rid of all of those at the beginning of summer...I was ruthless.

Tags
kitchen