"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Mom was a doctor. Safe food handling was important. Certain recipes could only be made when we had a hard freeze and some snow because we had no room in the fridge but could use a galvanized tub filled with snow to keep things cold on the back porch.

However, mom hated to ruin a nice relaxing dinner with cleaning up afterwards. So dishes etc sat int he sink over night. Ugh. Sorry, I can't do that. I can't treat my kitchen, my appliances, or my dishware/cookware that way. Things are cleaned and put away before I retire for the night.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Master Chef

My mom was a clean freak period. Then I married the only child of a clean freak, who was a clean freak himself. Maybe because of this, my siblings and I are rather relaxed about these things. Hubby said he was so anal because of allergies. Funny, after living with me for not very long, his standards came down and met mine! And half of his allergies just POOF! into the dust, so to speak (because house dust was one of them). I've always joked that his allergies were caused by being raised in a sterile environment! He went from carrying an inhaler everywhere he went and using it constantly, to only carrying it on long walks or when we visit some of our catty-er friends (mean that literally, many of our friends have two or more cats). Go figger. But the dishes thing. Don't have a dishwasher. Was raised to do dishes as soon as I got up from the table, and to wash as you go when cooking. Then one day I woke up and smelled the roses. Luckily before I met my husband. Why should the cook be punished? We came to an agreement that s/he who cooks doesn't have to clean. We make exceptions for big dinners (which we do every month or so) with company. On those days, the dishes might still be around in the morning, at least some of them. I'll put all the pots & pans in the bathtub (when I had one, the utility sink), full of hot soapy water. Then I'll wash most of the plates, side dishes. I usually have to re-fill the sink every load so that the water stays hot and clean and soapy. At that point I put the silver in the bottom of the sink and maybe or maybe not (depending on my exhaustion, wine soaked state) do the serving dishes. Or put them in to soak overnight. When I get up, I'll drain and refill the sink, do the serving dishes/bowls, drain, refill, and line up the crystal (silver still under water ... a great way to keep it from tarnishing). By the time hubby gets up, his ducks (silver and crystal) are in line and he finishes the job. (by the way, my husband sleeps a lot more than I do). Then we share the hard part ... all those pots and pans in the bathtub!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Now THAT'S Organized! Sounds comfortable and homey.

I married a neat freak's son who was in the Navy (more neat). I got beat up one time because I forgot to dust the baseboards. I have poor vision and never noticed it.

Nowadays, I'd just tell him, if it bothers him, HE should clean them.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
Master Chef

We also believe in doing dishes as we cook and doing them immediately after finishing supper. Using paper plates most nights helps too.
Oh, we do have a dishwasher but we'd rather do them by hand. In fact, since we bought our house 20 years ago we ran the dishwasher not even once, zero, nada. In fact the dishwasher is most likely no good now from lack of use. I should replace it with something useful like a nice wine cooler in its place.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Speaking of dishes, I usually do them the next day. My wife has some serious back problems so she can't stand at the sink, I work everyday and by the time I have cooked dinner, walked the dog, and spent some time with my daughter, I don't feel like doing them. On weekends, I usually have to hit the road to a gig, right after supper. I kept some busbins from our resaurant and put the dishes in there out of the way util it is time to do them.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #26
Sous Chef

My bf and I have opposite schedules, and so if we are both home at the same time, the LAST thing I will be doing is dishes. I do them when he is at work, so that means they sit overnight, or sometimes even for a couple nights. I do rinse them tho- can't stand gross dried food on dishes, or icky rotting food at the bottom of the sink
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Unused dishwashers are a great place to store large or awkward pots, pans and lids.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
Master Chef

Mom would let us lick the beaters when she was making cookies. That was always a good thing. Now however, can't do that. The raw eggs will give you salmonella! She would also thaw frozen meat in the sink and keep bacon grease under the sink. We were also big on tasting everything using the same spoon for everyone and using our fingers to scrape off the spatulas and then licking our fingers.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Oh snow tunnels and forts ... awesome memories! My dad would bring out real soda (the stuff with sugar, a real treat) and we would make snow cones with real snow. My brother was also known to spend a night or two out there.
You reminded me of when I was little. My folks would bring in a big bowl of snow and add sugar and vanilla. Ice cream! Well, almost. For poor folks like us it was a real treat. I would never consider doing that these days.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
You reminded me of when I was little. My folks would bring in a big bowl of snow and add sugar and vanilla. Ice cream! Well, almost. For poor folks like us it was a real treat. I would never consider doing that these days.
My mom used to make pull taffy and lay it in the snow to cool and harden. She did it as part of the Saint Jean Baptiste Day celebrations.