"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #31
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
My Gram'pa and I used to eat raw hamburger on saltine crackers with S&P. Granted it was meat from a cow he raised and that was butchered in town ... but it makes me want to just thinking about it now.
__________________

__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #32
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Oh snow tunnels and forts ... awesome memories! My dad would bring out real soda (the stuff with sugar, a real treat) and we would make snow cones with real snow. My brother was also known to spend a night or two out there.

Real SNOW cones! a great memory for me too. I think I need to do that again next time it snows, although maybe not with the right soda pop. I hear that you can get the pop with real sugar in it in Mexico (not that I would be going there soon).
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I hear that you can get the pop with real sugar in it in Mexico (not that I would be going there soon).
You can actually buy it here! At least in some places in WA state. I'm not a soda drinker but just remember the big yellow signs as I dashed down the soda aisle at the store a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure there was Pepsi, Coke and Mt Dew made with real sugar sitting next to the regular kind. There are probably more brands and flavors available that I've not seen.
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
You can actually buy it here! At least in some places in WA state. I'm not a soda drinker but just remember the big yellow signs as I dashed down the soda aisle at the store a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure there was Pepsi, Coke and Mt Dew made with real sugar sitting next to the regular kind. There are probably more brands and flavors available that I've not seen.

Thanks! I will be looking as soon as we get more snow. Maybe tonight.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wine Country
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
You can actually buy it here! At least in some places in WA state. I'm not a soda drinker but just remember the big yellow signs as I dashed down the soda aisle at the store a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure there was Pepsi, Coke and Mt Dew made with real sugar sitting next to the regular kind. There are probably more brands and flavors available that I've not seen.

You're right, Fred Meyer has some natural sugar sodas. They're also giving coupons for a free liter of "Mist Natural" soda that's made with real sugar. We don't buy soda normally but the "free" got our attention while we were reaching for the seltzer water so we tried it. Mist seems to be lower carbonation than other sodas. Interesting to try but probably won't ever buy it.
__________________
Cookee. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wine Country
Posts: 8
Back to topic:
Way back when In Illinois everyone had an "extra freezer" from December to March. The rest of the year, it was just the back porch. Many times the hard freeze meant exploded bottles or cans but it didn't seem to make Mom re-think that plan. She also gave us "Eggnog" made with raw eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon in the blender. Yikes ! I wonder why being sick isn't part of the memory?
__________________
Cookee. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #37
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I believe that TV has made germ-a-phobes out of all of us. Mayo has been touted as a dangerous food if left on the counter to get warm. Commercially produce may, that's purchased in the store has plenty of vinegar and salt in it to stop most microbial action, at least for a couple hours on the counter.

I'm sure that one or two cases of mild food poisoning took place in my life time (running to the bathroom frequently), but within two hours, all symptoms were gone. And my immune system is probably stronger for it.

Besides, have you ever seen a tiger cook its meat before chowing down. or a lion, or even a house cat? I didn't think so. So why don't they get food poisoning from eating raw meat. And then there are the northern Eskimos, who never ate cooked meat. In fact, it was placed in the igloo, in an out of the way corner for several days, in the 45 to 50 degree range, and allowed to "tenderize" through natural biological action. And that's what they eat, every day of their lives. And with all the clothing they have to wear to keep warm, I would think a case of the runs would be seriously challenging.

Seeeeeey; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #38
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee. View Post
Back to topic:
She also gave us "Eggnog" made with raw eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon in the blender. Yikes ! I wonder why being sick isn't part of the memory?
I still do this at least a couple of times a year. (Well, actually, I use nutmeg instead of cinnamon.!)
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I believe that TV has made germ-a-phobes out of all of us. Mayo has been touted as a dangerous food if left on the counter to get warm. Commercially produce may, that's purchased in the store has plenty of vinegar and salt in it to stop most microbial action, at least for a couple hours on the counter.

I'm sure that one or two cases of mild food poisoning took place in my life time (running to the bathroom frequently), but within two hours, all symptoms were gone. And my immune system is probably stronger for it.

Besides, have you ever seen a tiger cook its meat before chowing down. or a lion, or even a house cat? I didn't think so. So why don't they get food poisoning from eating raw meat. And then there are the northern Eskimos, who never ate cooked meat. In fact, it was placed in the igloo, in an out of the way corner for several days, in the 45 to 50 degree range, and allowed to "tenderize" through natural biological action. And that's what they eat, every day of their lives. And with all the clothing they have to wear to keep warm, I would think a case of the runs would be seriously challenging.

Seeeeeey; Goodweed of the North
My mom has a friend who leaves meat out on the counter for at least a day to age it because he likes the flavor better. His body is just accustomed to the amount of bacteria, and he doesn't get sick. In food safety classes they teach you rules like if something is left out for more that two hours throw it away because someone COULD get sick, not that the average person will. I try not to worry about it too much, because I do want my body to be exposed to a little bacteria now and then. I don't want a wimpy immune system!
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #40
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Reading all about barns, etc. I have a non-food memory of my childhood were my Mom, and all the Mom's in the bock for that matter did something that in this day and age would be considered extremely unsafe.

They would open their doors in the mornings and all us kids would come running out and find each other. We would go to the house with the best swing set (mine actually), move on to the house with the best sandbox, and usually end up on the big mound at the end of the street that we called our mountain and would run and roll and bike down in the summer and toboggan down in the winter. No parents to watch us, no play dates set. Then around noon the Mom's would come out and yell "Lunch!!!" and we would all run home for something to eat, usually a bit of a rest before we went back out for the afternoon. There were no worries of kidnappings, no having to check out the parents of the kids we were with. Just pure unconditional fun.

I find it sad that it can't be like that today.

Okay, I will go tray my bacon that was thawing out all night....nah, it has been in the fridge since I bought it yesterday!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.