"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Mom always let us lick the mixing bowl and the beaters from the mixer, and so...I always let my kids do the same. The first time my daughter-in-law made cookies for my son after they were married,she put the mixing bowl and beaters into the sink, and ran the water into it!My son was shocked and sad. Now they (and their two kids) lick away!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #52
Head Chef

The butcher where we traded sold everything from oysters to prime beef, and had one large butcher block in the shop. Chickens, pork, beef, were all cut up on the same block. It was wiped down between cutting jobs. I think this was normal.

Mom washed dishes in a sink filled with water. 1 fill per wash. A lot of people still do. Cross contamination had to occur.

If you were looking for a medium for culturing bacteria, you would invent the kitchen dish rag. Plenty of moisture, no sterilization. Good opportunities for inoculation.

Being avid hunters, we butchered our own deer and other animals. Used a DeWalt radial arm saw.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Canning is the biggest thing that I know which has changed greatly since my Mom and Grandmother did their canning. Wax was used to seal jelly. No water bath canning for jelly then. I remember sometimes you would open a new jar and there could be some mold under the wax. It was just scraped off and then the jelly used. No one ever got sick.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #54
Senior Cook

My parents and grandparents had hygiene habits that people would find outrageous these days. Though as most people have pointed out in this thread nobody ever really got sick.