Why can't we use hot tap water to cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P.S. oh, yeah and my new pc is acting up. i have to hit each key really hard and relly slow otherwise they do not work

I did not find it funny, I found it to be offencive!

Charlie - did you actually take a look at your original post? It has nothing to do with you being Russian or not having a total command of English spelling/grammar. I'm perfectly aware of the way you normally post, & your original post here was/is one step up from almost total gibberish, which is not the way you normally post - PC problems or not.

Not having your water hot enough has been linked to Legionnaire's disease (sits in the tank at too low a temp). If the water is nice and hot, It's safe but it is true it can taste bad.

Charlie - did you actually take a look at your original post? It has nothing to do with you being Russian or not having a total command of English spelling/grammar. I'm perfectly aware of the way you normally post, & your original post here was/is one step up from almost total gibberish, which is not the way you normally post - PC problems or not.

I know, I know, I realized that latter. If you look at the post right above yours you'd see that I mention the problem with my darn brand new PC that I am ready to smash over somebody’s had, I just wish the people who made the darn thing and the tech support were closer than India. :(

I count myself fortunate to be able to use my 19 year old IBM keyboard on my 18 month old HP Pavilion. It's interesting how many PC manufacturers have cheapened their keyboards over the years.

In my case it is not the key board problem it is software problem, I've chnaged the key board already.

Food Network had a show that was along the same lines as "Mythbusters" and they explained why but it had nothing to do with the lead. Ican't remember what it was but the lead thing was the first thing that came to my head when watching it and I was suprised when they said that wasn't it. I will try to find the name of the show and report back if I find anything! Great question Charlie!!

the name of the show is called "Food Detective" and amazingly the show I was referencing in my previous post was on there! I was mistaken...the host of the show said it's better to start with cold water because of the impurities that are in the hot water heater or something along those lines. If you go on to foodnetwork.com and search for the show, it should come up. Not that what he says is the definitive answer but it's just another possible answer!

Thank you. I did find the show, like you said he really did not say anything we did not know already. Oh, well.

We can always use hot water to cook our dishes. In fact, most of the Indian dishes are prepared in hot water. But then we boil the water instead of using hot tap water. I am not sure if it is really safe to keep hot tap water as it may damage the pipelines. But as far as cooking is concerned, there is no harm in using hot water.

I think the point was using hot TAP water, not water that you heat on the stove. It's about the hot water coming from a hot water heater where there may be extra deposits that may affect the water (taste?).

Because of the many stories I heard about the danger of using tap water, it seems to me tap water is coming straight from lakes and rivers.

... the New York Times tells us that, in fact, you are never supposed to drink or cook with hot tap water. Why?
You can read about it here

Unless you live in a very old house, you don't have to worry about lead pipes. They have been banned for about 25 years. Even then, they weren't the standard piping in most applications.

Unless you live in a very old house, you don't have to worry about lead pipes. They have been banned for about 25 years. Even then, they weren't the standard piping in most applications.

Errmm.. "very old" and 25 years doesn't seem quite right. :LOL:

I live in a 160 year old house, and we live on old lead mines! We don't have children, so I'm not overly cautious. But we have a Culligan filter for the entire house, and a filter on the faucet for drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom