"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #51
When I lived overseas (Ghana, Thailand, El Salvador, Saudi Arabia, and Lebanon), we did not use tap water for cooking because of concerns over the water's purity. The fact that my building's water line in Beirut also ran beneath the sewer line was also a source of (cough-choke-wheeze-gasp) concern.

Here in the states, I use tap water ... but not when I visit relatives in southern Michigan where the water in some areas has a high iron content and tastes "rusty."

Chef Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #52
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Don't ever drink the tap water in Brighton, Colorado...it is very high in minerals...so high it feels slimy out of the tap.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #53
Assistant Cook
I've done some research on this because I live in an older home and we do have hard water.

Firsty, lead sodered pipes is not that big of a deal today. If you have an older house (built before the 1950's) then you may have some lead sodered pipes, if that's the case then you should have your water tested. Newer homes though do not have lead pipes and chances are that if you do have an older home the pipes have probably been replaced sometime in the last 60 years.

The chance for metal built up in the hot water tank is the main reason we don't use hot water for cooking. If you have hard water the concentrations of magesium and calcium are pretty high. These elements make the water taste funny and make washing dishes "harder" because it makes soap molecules not want to dissolve in your water.

Cold water from the tap will also have more dissolved oxygen in it because it is not sitting stagnant in your hot water tank. This will make it taste better.

kizzer1102 is offline   Reply With Quote