"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 09-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Why discard marinade?

I'm marinating salmon and, usually, I bake it right in the marinade and it makes a great sauce. This time, though, we're going to grill the salmon. I'd like to cook the marinade so that it will thicken into a sauce like the baked version. Is there some reason I have to discard the marinade?

thanks for your thoughts!

cbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Normally marinade is discarded for food safety issues. As long as you bring it to a boil, though, it's fine.

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #3
You would ony have to discard it because it comes in contact with raw food. If you bring it to a boil for 2 minutes, its safe to use again.
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Master Chef
Along with everyone else: boil it, then it will be OK. I make a cornstarch slurry (1 T cornstarch disolved in a third cup of cold water) and when the marinade has boiled for a couple minutes, whisk it in. It will thicken to a nice sauce consistency.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Does boiling it change the flavors, etc?
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Good question... I would imagine it would (depending on the contents of the marinade), but I dont know to what extent. I would be curious to know the answer to this as well...
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I don't think boiling it changes the flavors noticeably - especially 'cause you're only boiling it for about 2-3 minutes.

About the only thing I would hesitate to do this with is chicken or poultry, especially if it's been sitting out in the marinade for a bit. But I've done the 'boil' bit for beef and pork and seafood, and it's been just fine.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
Head Chef
I would assume the texture of the marinade changes as you cook it. Then again is that not the whole purpose. Most people try to make a sauce to pour over the meat and they use left over marinade and thicken it or give it some body with a little butter for a lighter sauce or with roux etc.

I make a yogurt marinade for my chicken. I marinate the chicken in it and then grill the chicken. I use the leftover yogurt marinade to make the sauce and to do that I boil the marinade until it gets nice and thick. It almost gets a nice sheen to it as it thickens. I then pour it over the chicken for a more flavor.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
Master Chef
Often the marinade concentrates and gets saltier after it's boiled, so taste it before serving.

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote