Why discard marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbg

Assistant Cook
I'm marinating salmon and, usually, I bake it right in the marinade and it makes a great sauce. This time, though, we're going to grill the salmon. I'd like to cook the marinade so that it will thicken into a sauce like the baked version. Is there some reason I have to discard the marinade?

thanks for your thoughts!
cbg

You would ony have to discard it because it comes in contact with raw food. If you bring it to a boil for 2 minutes, its safe to use again.

Along with everyone else: boil it, then it will be OK. I make a cornstarch slurry (1 T cornstarch disolved in a third cup of cold water) and when the marinade has boiled for a couple minutes, whisk it in. It will thicken to a nice sauce consistency.

Good question... I would imagine it would (depending on the contents of the marinade), but I dont know to what extent. I would be curious to know the answer to this as well...

I don't think boiling it changes the flavors noticeably - especially 'cause you're only boiling it for about 2-3 minutes.

About the only thing I would hesitate to do this with is chicken or poultry, especially if it's been sitting out in the marinade for a bit. But I've done the 'boil' bit for beef and pork and seafood, and it's been just fine.

I would assume the texture of the marinade changes as you cook it. Then again is that not the whole purpose. Most people try to make a sauce to pour over the meat and they use left over marinade and thicken it or give it some body with a little butter for a lighter sauce or with roux etc.

I make a yogurt marinade for my chicken. I marinate the chicken in it and then grill the chicken. I use the leftover yogurt marinade to make the sauce and to do that I boil the marinade until it gets nice and thick. It almost gets a nice sheen to it as it thickens. I then pour it over the chicken for a more flavor.

Back
Top Bottom