"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Head Chef

I found bugs once in a McCormick Cayenne Pepper bottle.
That was surprising!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`v never encountered that problem myself, but as precaution, I always put a load of Bay Leaves in the bag of rice to prevent infestations that Could occur later after opening.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

the worms and moths are mealy moths-----small, ugly, grey, the worms are actually eggs that have hatched into minute larvae--------if you notice a tiny greyish ugly moth or two hanging about in your pantry-----BEWARE-------they are probably laying eggs into any meal related item that you have......flour, cornmeal, rice, oatmeal, cereals, popcorn etc., etc, etc,

another pest is a minute beetle that does the same thing......any meal product and they will love you for life --they are called flour beetles though they love any meal based product and are in cahoots with the moths and you'll notice their larvae when you go to make something.... yep, the ooooooooooh factor.....people call them weevils though most are not.........I don't know about the moths but for the beetles it's best to add some cheap bay leaves to your bags and that seems to repel them........you can also tape a few bay leaves to the undersides of your pantry shelves and that will help, too........when I see the moths I don't hesitate...... I eliminate them......just don't use an insecticide in your pantry however......they do make safe stuff......just ask around.......

In KZ there is no returning of food items that are ruined.......what you buy is what you get......in fact they might charge you more for the extra protein......ok just kidding......so I just put all that stuff in the freezer upon getting home and then when I open up the bags I drop in a few bay leaves.......

otherwise these pests will invade your entire pantry........I even found the beetle larvae and adults in cayenne red pepper......must be from TX.........
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Been there with the worms in the rice and the moths - disgusting. I just tossed everything cleaned out pantry - it took a few days to get rid of the moths even after I emptied the pantry. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought containers for everything. I freeze my flour when I get it home for 3 days - can you freeze rice? Never have done that.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
Head Chef

Washing/Rinsing the rice was to remove excess starch, so I don't think it was related to bug prevention.

Freezing needs a little longer than 24 hours from what I understand so there is total penetration.

All my flour and rice gets placed into FoodSaver bags and vacuum sealed. Kills any bugs the same as freezer plus locks in the freshness for longer storage.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Been there with the worms in the rice and the moths - disgusting. I just tossed everything cleaned out pantry - it took a few days to get rid of the moths even after I emptied the pantry. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought containers for everything. I freeze my flour when I get it home for 3 days - can you freeze rice? Never have done that.
oh, my yes, you can freeze rice and I actually recommend it esp, if you've brought home bags with the wee beasties in them......
Old 11-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
Head Chef

Last night I threw away 2 bags of sea shell pasta that I bought a few days ago. I dumped them in a Tupperware container and when I went to use them last night for soup I noticed little brown things in the broth. I took a good look in the container there were hundreds of little teeny worms. AND the sea shells were full of eggs. No matter how well you wrap, seal or freeze the food, I know they were there when I bought them. Grossed me out almost as much as the 2 scorpions I found on my wall and in my bathroom sink.

I don't need this. Can't control the scorpions but I won't be buyng anymore sea shells. This is the second time this has happend. EEEEEWWWWW.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Last night I threw away 2 bags of sea shell pasta that I bought a few days ago. I dumped them in a Tupperware container and when I went to use them last night for soup I noticed little brown things in the broth. I took a good look in the container there were hundreds of little teeny worms. AND the sea shells were full of eggs. No matter how well you wrap, seal or freeze the food, I know they were there when I bought them. Grossed me out almost as much as the 2 scorpions I found on my wall and in my bathroom sink.

I don't need this. Can't control the scorpions but I won't be buyng anymore sea shells. This is the second time this has happend. EEEEEWWWWW.
DramaQueen,

Please tell the store management......not only for a refund but so that they can contact their suppliers and see what is going on .............usually if one bag is infested so are the rest........it's the same problem where I live......only I'm not allowed to come in and get a refund and their suppliers are the same people who supply all the other groceries........but it's different in the states........you have a recourse.....use it.....and good luck.........that is such a pain!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

From what I understand, most grains come with a certain number of bugs, but freezing kills them. Since I started freezing all grains and cereals for a few days, I have never had a problem.

Barbara
Old 11-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #20
Master Chef

yeah, I freeze all of mine, too, Barbs......even popcorn since I found my friends the mealy moths in one batch.......who would have thought?