"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Call it added protein, you won't taste it once it's cooked.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
From what I understand, most grains come with a certain number of bugs, but freezing kills them. Since I started freezing all grains and cereals for a few days, I have never had a problem.

Barbara
So what you're saying is that if I freeze the bugs it will kill them and their eggs and then I can eat dead bugs and eggs? Uhhhh I don't think so.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
Head Chef

You will often find it in rice, coucous and the Middle Eastern Mixes, flour, cake mixes, sugar, etc...it happens at the manufacturing level. Some cooking professionals will sift the bugs out and continue to use...that just grosses me out. I always return the item or toss it. The other thing is once this happens, if the package has been in your cupboard for a while, you have to check all the other items on the shelves. You could wind up with an infestation problem. My motto has always been, when in doubt, toss it out.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #24
Master Chef

had a 6ft full-bearded Texas A&M prof teaching an entomology course to us newbies (easy on the eyes----hard to believe he was into bugs).........Dr. Franke was his name........anyway he was leading the research on providing birth control for roaches.....he once said that the industry allowed so many roach and animal particulate matter into chocolate and that most people who claim to be allergic to chocolate really aren't........it's the roach particles (which are protein-based) that they are having allergic reactions to..........hmmmmmmmmmm...........interesting..... ..sorry , I'm not a chocaholic........I'm a gummibearaholic............:)
Old 11-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
So what you're saying is that if I freeze the bugs it will kill them and their eggs and then I can eat dead bugs and eggs? Uhhhh I don't think so.
it's really worse than you think, Drama Queen and given your moniker, I'm not sure that i should really tell you........changed my mind............no don't eat it..........
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
LOL They're in there. You just don't see them. They're all over the place. Do you have any idea how many little things live on your eyelashes? I saw a show about that once.

Barbara
Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I found bugs once in a McCormick Cayenne Pepper bottle.
That was surprising!
I made deviled eggs once and fixed a plate to share with a friend. I sprinkled the tops with paprika...and later noticed the "paprika" had moved around and clumped together on top of each egg!! It was tiny bugs!!! Yikes - I was sooo glad I hadn't given them to my friend yet.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
I made deviled eggs once and fixed a plate to share with a friend. I sprinkled the tops with paprika...and later noticed the "paprika" had moved around and clumped together on top of each egg!! It was tiny bugs!!! Yikes - I was sooo glad I hadn't given them to my friend yet.
oh, Callie, just think of the conversation piece that would have been.......a few whiffs of Eau de Raid and noone would have noticed.....jest kidding.......
Old 11-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #29
Head Chef

Years ago I had an infestation of moths. Got to the point where it was a rule that if you saw one you could not sit down until you "disposed" of it.

I threw out hundreds of $$ of food, vacummed my cupboards - did everything I could think of. Finally found the source in a bag of nuts in the back of the drawer - the devisl had eaten their way through the plastic! All of my nuts are stored in the freezer now...perhaps that's why my dh complains about being chilly all the time!

Last year my pup's treats developed crawlies even though they were in a closed container!

Freezing is the best preventative - we all eat stuff we'd rather not think about!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #30
Master Chef

the wee beasties can chew through just about anything.............a friend had made me a lacquered bread basket that she had woven out of dough, baked, and put shellac on the outside..............beautiful gift and it mean a lot since she had made it herself..........months later I went to use it and the beetles had tunneled in and out of it..........I was so mad that I put it in the oven and set it at the highest temp possible........alas it killed all the beetles.......I must have cried buckets.......