"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo View Post
Last year my pup's treats developed crawlies even though they were in a closed container!
Unfortunately there is still air in the closed container (unless it is vacuum-sealed) so they can still live on. Freezing for a couple days before putting in the container will definitely work.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #32
Cook

So I guess that means I should stop eating raw cookie dough?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

When things like flour are processed, it is sifted through super fine sieves to ensure, as much as possible, that only flour gets into the flour bag. Some bug eggs are as small as flour grains so can get through the sieve. Not bugs, just their tiny little eggs.

Freezing the flour for three days kills them forever. You don't have to leave the flour in the freezer, but you can if you want. If you have whole grain flours, freezer storage may be better because whole grain flours will get rancid more quickly than white AP flour.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #34
Master Chef

nope...........if I'm going to be fat........you are toooooo........keep eating, Girlfriend......jest kidding (jk)
Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I would not consume the rice. Chances are the eggs were in the rice, and they hatched and now you have worms. The worms are unlikely to leave.

Depending on when you bought the bag of rice, you may be able to take the rice back to the store and get your money back, provided you have not consumed a significant portion of the package. I had a similar problem several weeks ago. I bought a 10 lb bag of Basmati rice from a local Indian grocery store. I came home and tried to cook some, and immediately saw the little critters. Took it back to the store. The owner tells me that since I opened the bag, they would not take it back! I said that next time they should label their bags of rice as "With Worms" and "Without Worms" - that way I would know what rice not to buy, and therefore would not have to return rice! They relented and gave me my money back!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #36
Head Chef

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
LOL They're in there. You just don't see them. They're all over the place. Do you have any idea how many little things live on your eyelashes? I saw a show about that once.

Barbara
OOOHHHHH lordy, I saw that show too. I now know that our bodies are covered with billions of tiny parasites, especially our scalp and eyelashes. How disgusting is that? But I'm not eating them. Or am I?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #37
Head Chef

Okay here we go. I'm so totally grossed out I can hardly type. I opened my Tupperware contianer of brown rice to make for dinner tonight and was bowled over by the thousands of mealworms and flying whatevers. AAACCKK. I couldn't stand to keep the container so I threw the whole thing in the trash. Is there a way to keep rice from becoming contaminated? This bag was fairly new so I wonder if the bugs were there when I bought it. No other rice or pasta products in my pantry has this problem. I know we went through this but I don't want to have to go through this whole thread again to find the answer if I can help it.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #38
Head Chef

As stated throughout this thread, one needs to freeze the flour or rice for a few days to kill any larvae or immediately vacuum seal the contents which will also kill them.

The larvae are in the rice at the time of harvest. Cannot be avoided. Some bags and times of year are worse than others. The companies do their best to be bug free but that's like trying to swat rain.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
As stated throughout this thread, one needs to freeze the flour or rice for a few days to kill any larvae or immediately vacuum seal the contents which will also kill them.

The larvae are in the rice at the time of harvest. Cannot be avoided. Some bags and times of year are worse than others. The companies do their best to be bug free but that's like trying to swat rain.
I love rice and in all my life I have never seen this happen before. In pasta yes, especially sea shell pasta. Great for nesting. AAACCCKK. So now I have to either give up rice, or know that I'm eating dead larvae. OMG!!! There could be worse things I guess.

Thanks for the freezing tip. I will do just that and try not to gag.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #40
Master Chef

I have not even looked at this thread until now and I'm paranoid and freaked out at the moment. Wow.... I guess I will be keeping a closer eye on my pantry goods!