Worms in Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep my flour in hermetically sealed canisters. I had a few problems with creatures getting in my flour and that's why I went hermetic.

Also I think it is a good idea to store flour in above the counter cabinets, away from the floor, just on general principles.

I keep my flour in hermetically sealed canisters. I had a few problems with creatures getting in my flour and that's why I went hermetic.

Also I think it is a good idea to store flour in above the counter cabinets, away from the floor, just on general principles.
None of those measures will affect insect eggs that are already in the flour when you bring it home. And if you haven't noticed, bugs are pretty good climbers ;)

None of those measures will affect insect eggs that are already in the flour when you bring it home. And if you haven't noticed, bugs are pretty good climbers ;)

Yup. Flour manufacturers often throw in bug eggs at no extra cost as a way of expressing their appreciation for your patronage. Freeze your bags of flour for 3 days when you bring them home then store them in a sealed container and you will not have a bug problem (other than eating dead bug eggs in your baked goods). I use two-gallon zip lock bags for flours, sugars, etc.

Except for that one instance of the bugs in the sealed rice package I have never had an instance of infestation that couldn't be blamed on my previous habit of keeping my flour in the original paper package and storing it below the counter.

These days the freshly purchased flour goes directly into the hermetically sealed containers. I have had zero problems since I adopted this approach, for about several years now.

Of course that won't help if they put the bugs in at the packaging plant.

You just bought proteins for the price of rice! It often happens to me when I buy grains, but I'm not very happy about it

Back
Top Bottom