"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Worms in Rice

I purchased a bag of rice and a couple of weeks later the bag had worms in it - some of the worms had morphed into moth-like insects. What would cause this? The rice is in a waterproof bag that has a zip-lock seal so nothing can get in from outside. The same thing happened to a friend of mine too - same store same brand of rice. Now this rice is over $25 per bag and the package is nothing short of stellar. Any help would be appreciated -

Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkiogora View Post
I purchased a bag of rice and a couple of weeks later the bag had worms in it - some of the worms had morphed into moth-like insects. What would cause this? The rice is in a waterproof bag that has a zip-lock seal so nothing can get in from outside. The same thing happened to a friend of mine too - same store same brand of rice. Now this rice is over $25 per bag and the package is nothing short of stellar. Any help would be appreciated -
Looks like you have mealworms in your rice. This happens often with rice, pasta and some other dry grains. It's possible the eggs were in the rice at the time it was packaged. I would chuck it and try to buy rice in bulk so you can look through it as you pour into your bag.

I can't even imagine why you are paying $25.00 per bag for rice. How big is this bag and what kind of rice is $25.00 per bag????

Old 10-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You bought the bugs when you bought the rice. Return it to the store.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I've heard this sometimes happens with flour. I'd take it back, most grocery stores will take products back with a brief explanation. I've taken tortillas back to the store after they went moldy in 3 days.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Sous Chef

We often face this problem in India.

We add a handful salt to the rice and mix properly. The worms will leave the rice after some time.

In the time of cooking take required quantity of salted rice and wash with water, the rice will be salt free and cook.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Interesting. Well the worms definitely somehow got in when they packaged the rice. That never happened to me before... but if it did, I would take it back to the store as well especially when you are paying 25$ for a bag.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Master Chef

Yuk. Return it imidiately.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

I once returned a 50 lb bag of jasmine rice from Costco for that reason. I pay about $30 for that bag of rice.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
Master Chef

I had something similar happen when I bought some couscous in bulk in an ethnic grocery store in Florida. Got it home and it was full of bugs of some sort within a few days. I assume the eggs were there. When I lived in Florida, though, these sorts of incidents were not uncommon. My sister used to keep flour, sugar, etc, in the fridge to ward off weevils. I invested heavily in good-quality tupperware. I remember when we lived in Germany (where baby sis was born), mom used to insist that we wipe clean the tops of cans, especially the cans of milk (I can't remember, what was it we used to make baby formula before enfamil was invented? Either evaporated or condensed milk)(hey, must have been evaporated, because we added corn syrup) with a cloth that had some bleach in it. She said, "You never know what bugs may have crawled on it." She was a good housekeeper (was, heck, is) but not one of the evrything has to be sanitized kind of person.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I found some in lentils also. I tossed them, but now I put anything grain, beans, etc in the freezer for 24 hours at least and haven't had the problem since. My mother always washed her rice, but I don't hear of others doing that now. Is it still done?