"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
As the owner of the salad company mentions, it proves that there isn't a lot of pesticide and poison on the lettuce.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
As the owner of the salad company mentions, it proves that there isn't a lot of pesticide and poison on the lettuce.
Good point! And I'd rather find a live frog than a slimy dead frog! I would probably rinse the lettuce and wonder what to do with the little critter in my cold climate. He probably would have ended up in a terrarium of some sort, eating crickets, knowing me lol.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Good point! And I'd rather find a live frog than a slimy dead frog! I would probably rinse the lettuce and wonder what to do with the little critter in my cold climate. He probably would have ended up in a terrarium of some sort, eating crickets, knowing me lol.
That would happen after I recovered from finding him and if my screams didn't send him into shock...then I'd be on the phone to a guy I know that loves crawlies.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

That would happen after I recovered from finding him and if my screams didn't send him into shock...then I'd be on the phone to a guy I know that loves crawlies.
+1 :)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a huge apple tree in my back yard of which i've enjoyed watching ethnocentric, non-english speaking neighbors bite into a stolen apple only to find a creepy crawlie in their gob.

if they spoke to me first, i would have warned them to use a knife. but apparently pride goeth before the worm.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i have a huge apple tree in my back yard of which i've enjoyed watching ethnocentric, non-english speaking neighbors bite into a stolen apple only to find a creepy crawlie in their gob.

if they spoke to me first, i would have warned them to use a knife. but apparently pride goeth before the worm.
I like that, BT, including the pun.

Let's face it folks, we live in a world inhabited by lots of other creatures besides us. They're all trying to bring forth the next generation of their own kind, just like we are. The problem is, some of those other creatures are nasty little vermin that carry bad things, and give them to us.

When I find creepy-crawlies, I generally turn them into fish bait. Fish are much less picky about the things they eat, that is until I fish for them. Then, they become very picky indeed.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I used to prep and set up the salad bar in a restaurant. 5 minutes before opening, I was looking at my creation and there on the edge was an inch-worm inching for it's life down the bar. He had made it through multiple rinses, chopping, etc. I let him go outside, figured he'd earned it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

One of life's great lessons on the subtle difference between the significant and the insignificant is the difference between finding a work in your apple and finding half a worm.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by huluholler View Post
I read the threads here about finding worms in rice. I had found a worm in jasmine rice a few months ago. Since then, I have been adamant about RINSING the rice beforehand...

I hope you threw that rice away!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I once bought a can of Hungarian sweet paprika, opened the section of the lid for spooning and removed a Tbsp of it. Just before adding it to a bowl with other ingredients, I noticed it was "moving". The can was full of these little, live, brown bugs. The paprika was imported as is and not repackaged here.

Tags
rice, water