Worms on Broccoli? Still ok to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG, that is just tooooo funny. My dad was the spitting image of John Wayne but he had the weakest stomach in the world.

I can't tell you the ways we tormented him...:LOL:

Sure, Jen, you can use Dipel dust on your cabbage, if you're not going to pick it right away. Where the worms live depends on when and where that nasty little yellow butterfly laid it's eggs.

Jan, your dad sounds like mine. Shame on you for tormenting him! :LOL:

I just wonder if a little bit of what'ya dont like doesn't do you any harm...
A beetle or two, a fly here & there, a worm or caterpillar in the broccoli...

I paid a visit to Mexico City some 6-7 yrs ago. My wife came with me and we took a trip to Taxco, where the silver mines are. Obligatory visiting was the local market. Freshly made tortillas, 100 types of chile, beautiful veg and lots of different beetles and bugs, live.
I asked the little Indian lady what they did with them and she took a tortilla, splashed on some fresh, hot salsa, whacked a few bugs inside and proceeded to eat it.

At least with broccoli caterpillars, you dont feel the legs...

Gag me with a spoon!

Seriously, it's all in what you get used to, Clive. I suppose I could eat all sorts of weird things if I got hungry enough.

But worms and bugs would be low on the list. I prefer nuts and berries, thank you.

What a story Constance! Much as I love the stuff, I think it will be awhile before I buy broccoli again. No need to watch my diet with you guys around! LOL

BC

I agrree with Essie, we have always just soaked the fresh broccoli in salt water and they will float to the top. No harm done. It does take a while I usually soak mine for at least 30 minutes.

jennyema said:
LOL Constance :sick:

I spose I am lucky that my broccoli bolted as did my cauliflower.

But I still have some red cabbage that looks good but does have some holes in the outer leaves. WHERE DO THESE WORMS LIVE? Inside the cabbage ball or outside on the stalk and leaves? WHERE DO I LOOK? ANd can I use that dust you were discussing?

Worms totally freak me out....

The holes could also be caused by slugs which will usually feed on the outer leaves--I HATE those things!!!:sick:

Half Baked said:
OMG, that is just tooooo funny. My dad was the spitting image of John Wayne but he had the weakest stomach in the world.

I can't tell you the ways we tormented him...:LOL:

Half Baked

It's all too true----I used to work in an ENT clinic and the ones that I had to run and get smelling salts for upon seeing the examining tools were the "John Wayne" types. At least your Dad seems like a good sport!!:)

My mom gave me a big bag of broccoli from her garden. I ate some and then the NEXT night I noticed things moving in the bag before I cooked them.

I prefer to think they were all suffering from stage fright and didn't come out the first night...

While I prefer not to eat bugs, I don't get excited about it. Soak broc. as does Essie, after all prawns, crayfish and thelike are only sea insects. Sorry about that. ;Þ

Back
Top Bottom