Worth reading - long-term problems from food poisoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW. Your timing is crazy with this post, thanks for posting it.

My husband is currently battling a very aggressive case of Reactive Arthritis brought on by campylobacter. We are not sure where he got it, possibly in Budapest as we spent a weekend there days before he got really sick. The RA came on about a week later, we went to the emergency room and he didn't leave the hospital for a week after. He is now on steroids, NSAIDS, and tramadol for pain. He will be starting an arthritis medication called Methotrexate as soon as his blood panel comes back. He has lost 30 pounds in 7 weeks.

Our Rheumatologist said this will probably last for 6 months. Some cases last weeks others last several months. No cure. :(

He started aquatic therapy today at our community pool, hopefully this will help him start to gain some strength back. He is still walking with a cane and hasn't returned to work (luckily he can do the majority of his job from home) He is only 28 years old.

It's such a scary thing, food poisoning. You just never know.....

Have to say that the article is pretty good. Not only did I get kidney failure from ecoli food poisoning, but the illness/condition (Haemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS)) has now invaded the new kidney that I got in Nov 06. And yeah, the complications of that day will stay with me for the rest of my (shortened) life. The drugs that they have me on to keep my kidney in the best condition it can be play havoc with my gut, I have sensory nerve damage in my feet, and I now have diabetes. Thats from the drugs only. I have high BP from when I got kidney failure and I have to take a drug to stop get ulcers from another drug. I also have an increased risk of cancer and other illness (nasty and eh! types) as my immune system has been turned to low so as to keep the kidney. Oh and the dialysis treatment and the subsequent steroids have increased my weight to an unbelievable size. My heart will never be the same again from the clot that came down from my shoulder and through two chambers of the heart.

But that's life and it's good!!! I'm alive and (I feel) I have my health!!

And Redkitty, what your husband is going through sounds horrid. I hope he has a speedy recovery. This might sound strange, but it might be harder for you to watch him than it is for him to endure. We hate to see those we care about suffer. Thinking of you both.

Red and Bilby, I'm so sorry about what you are going thru. I can't imagine.
Are you able (or deciding to) bring any legal action into it? Redkittyy I suppose maybe you can't since you were traveling and not sure where it came from?
I'm not one who believes in suing for any small reason, but your lives are so irriversably changed. Do you get to hold anyone accountable?
No I'm not a lawyer, just curious.
:)

Not in my case Suzi. It was several months before it even crossed anybody's mind that there could be a case but even then it would have been rather futile as there was no clear link, probably because I had been ill for a while before I was hospitalised. (I was only off work for a week but sick for over two and it was only the last three days that it seemed to be serious.) So there is only a presumption of the cause but it would be a very good presumption. Basicallly, someone just didn't wash their hands. Hard to prove legally. Any case, legal fees would have probably eaten into anything that I won, and I would have lost the house if I lost the case - didn't own that much of it at the time!! LOL

Last edited:
Thanks Bilby & Suzie...

No chance of us finding out where he got the bacteria. Could have been in Budapest, could have been something he ate here in England. It could take 2-5 days from when you came in contact with it to get ill.

That was a good link, jp. I really knew nothing about food poisoning until I got to DC. I think we've just been lucky. But I have always been freaked out about ground beef because I found out years ago how and where and under what conditions most of it is made - too easy to be contaminated with e-coli and other stuff. So we only eat ground beef that I prepare to make sure it is completely cooked. I've been looking into grinding my own, which would make it much safer, too. Do any of you do this?

I haven't done ground beef yet just because we use so much I'd be grinding constantly! Plus the 90% lean is such a good deal at Sam's Club I can't pass it up.
But I do grind my own chicken, turkey and pork. Mostly just because it's cheaper, but I can also control how much fat I pay for.

We used to mince our own meat when I was a kid when mum would buy a side of beef but haven't done it in years. was fun to do when I was a kid - I got to poke the meat into the mincer tube on the Kenwood Chef (like today's KitchenAid). Much cooler than the hand mincer!! LOL

We used to mince our own meat when I was a kid when mum would buy a side of beef but haven't done it in years. was fun to do when I was a kid - I got to poke the meat into the mincer tube on the Kenwood Chef (like today's KitchenAid). Much cooler than the hand mincer!! LOL
That's what I thought to use - my KitchenAid. I never thought about making the kids shove the meat through! I'm liking this idea better and better!

I don't let the kids shove the meat in just because its just too much fun to do it myself!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom