You cannot imagine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jiayan Wu

Washing Up
I remember the first time i cook, i have no idea how to cook food, i want to boil a soup, then i pour the oil first, when the oil looks to be done, then i pour down the water into it , oh my god, i actually don't know i can't do this thing, its dangerous, then everyone can image what happened, i am so afraid at that time , a big voice, oil began to splash into my face, i rush out my kitchen, then i spend an hour to clean my kitchen, everywhere oil.:ermm:

Oh dear, that's really dangerous. Don't worry, you have lots of support in this forum. Just ask. Someone will always be there to help or advice. Very often you get a quick reply too.

I will never forget my first experience cooking. It was a very long time ago (musta been 1973 or 1974) and I wanted to surprise my wife with a cheescake. She had commented that she saw a recipe in a magazine and would like to have a cheescake.
I was in a hurry and misread the ingredients. A 1/4 tsp of salt was called for and for some reason my brain read it as 1/4 cup.
Hoo boy!!!!
Needless to say it was inedible and I was compelled to toss it in the trash.
It was a valuable learning experience. I still get nervous when making a cheescake.

I will never forget my first experience cooking. It was a very long time ago (musta been 1973 or 1974) and I wanted to surprise my wife with a cheescake. She had commented that she saw a recipe in a magazine and would like to have a cheescake.
I was in a hurry and misread the ingredients. A 1/4 tsp of salt was called for and for some reason my brain read it as 1/4 cup.
Hoo boy!!!!

Oh Boy, can you say HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!!!!

wow....that's sure a big culinary disaster! I remember on several occassions I forgot to cook rice when having friends over for a meal. All the other dishes were ready but NO RICE!

It must be very hard to teach yourself to cook. I was fortunate. I watched my mother in the kitchen and father cooking on the barbecue until I was old enough to help them. It's good to have a teacher.

You are very right. It's always easiest to learn cooking hands on rather than struggling through yourself. But some of us like me am not that lucky. I guess that's where this forum is very useful for many of us to share and learn.

The first thing I ever cooked (my mother didn't cook very often so I had no mentor as a kid) was a pork chop, and I had no idea what I was doing as I was about 14 or 15. I took the chop out of the fridge and tossed it into a skillet and turned the burner on High (that's right, no oil, butter, or anything...just the chop). Within moments, I had a blackened pork chop and a lot of smoke! I choked down part of the lump of pork-coal, but through most of it away.

During my junior year in college, I had three roommates. One guy, who eventually won a Wilson Fellowship, went on to Harvard Law School, and turned out to be a brilliant lawyer, refused to believe anything could take more than 20 minutes in the oven. Needless to say, he mostly did the dishes.

There are so many people out there that really never read the recipe. They see the list of ingredients, maybe the temp for the oven, but beyond that they throw the ingredients together and wonder why their dishes don't tun out how the expected.

Just remember, "Oil and water don't mix." What kind of soup were you attempting to make? We can help you. Are you O.K.? You said the oil splashed in your face!

I am Ok. As soon as the oil splashed in my face, i run out the kichten at the first moment. I forget to tell this thing happened 2 years ago, that's my first time make soup;) Thank you for your caring, i am appreciate it.

wow....that's sure a big culinary disaster! I remember on several occassions I forgot to cook rice when having friends over for a meal. All the other dishes were ready but NO RICE!

I always make that mistake too.:LOL:

Hoo boy!!!!
Needless to say it was inedible and I was compelled to toss it in the trash.
It was a valuable learning experience. I still get nervous when making a cheescake.

Hey, everyone would make mistake before they success;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom