"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Jiayan Wu Send a message via MSN to Jiayan Wu
Angry You cannot imagine

I remember the first time i cook, i have no idea how to cook food, i want to boil a soup, then i pour the oil first, when the oil looks to be done, then i pour down the water into it , oh my god, i actually don't know i can't do this thing, its dangerous, then everyone can image what happened, i am so afraid at that time , a big voice, oil began to splash into my face, i rush out my kitchen, then i spend an hour to clean my kitchen, everywhere oil.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Oh dear, that's really dangerous. Don't worry, you have lots of support in this forum. Just ask. Someone will always be there to help or advice. Very often you get a quick reply too.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Master Chef

Just remember, "Oil and water don't mix." What kind of soup were you attempting to make? We can help you. Are you O.K.? You said the oil splashed in your face!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I will never forget my first experience cooking. It was a very long time ago (musta been 1973 or 1974) and I wanted to surprise my wife with a cheescake. She had commented that she saw a recipe in a magazine and would like to have a cheescake.
I was in a hurry and misread the ingredients. A 1/4 tsp of salt was called for and for some reason my brain read it as 1/4 cup.
Hoo boy!!!!
Needless to say it was inedible and I was compelled to toss it in the trash.
It was a valuable learning experience. I still get nervous when making a cheescake.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I will never forget my first experience cooking. It was a very long time ago (musta been 1973 or 1974) and I wanted to surprise my wife with a cheescake. She had commented that she saw a recipe in a magazine and would like to have a cheescake.
I was in a hurry and misread the ingredients. A 1/4 tsp of salt was called for and for some reason my brain read it as 1/4 cup.
Hoo boy!!!!
Oh Boy, can you say HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Cook

wow....that's sure a big culinary disaster! I remember on several occassions I forgot to cook rice when having friends over for a meal. All the other dishes were ready but NO RICE!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Head Chef

It must be very hard to teach yourself to cook. I was fortunate. I watched my mother in the kitchen and father cooking on the barbecue until I was old enough to help them. It's good to have a teacher.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Senior Cook

You are very right. It's always easiest to learn cooking hands on rather than struggling through yourself. But some of us like me am not that lucky. I guess that's where this forum is very useful for many of us to share and learn.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Cook

The first thing I ever cooked (my mother didn't cook very often so I had no mentor as a kid) was a pork chop, and I had no idea what I was doing as I was about 14 or 15. I took the chop out of the fridge and tossed it into a skillet and turned the burner on High (that's right, no oil, butter, or anything...just the chop). Within moments, I had a blackened pork chop and a lot of smoke! I choked down part of the lump of pork-coal, but through most of it away.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Head Chef

During my junior year in college, I had three roommates. One guy, who eventually won a Wilson Fellowship, went on to Harvard Law School, and turned out to be a brilliant lawyer, refused to believe anything could take more than 20 minutes in the oven. Needless to say, he mostly did the dishes.