You Gotta Touch the Stove to Learn They Say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frank, do not break those blisters. The fluid inside is body fluid and helps heal the burn faster. And to break them also will expose you to infection.

Frank, do not break those blisters. The fluid inside is body fluid and helps heal the burn faster. And to break them also will expose you to infection.

That only works for girls... men pop blisters.

I think this is where I am supposed to pound my chest and grunt. :cool:

That only works for girls... men pop blisters.

I think this is where I am supposed to pound my chest and grunt. :cool:

Oh please save me! I remember when my brother-in-law had the flu and he was crying about how the hair on his arms hurt. It has been my experience that men are the biggest babies when no one is looking. :rolleyes:

I didn't live at home at the time, but one time, I'm told, one younger sister started a kitchen fire. She was probably late teens, early 20s. Youngest sister rescued. She was probably 10. To this day we joke about the older of the two being our baby sister, and the younger being the younger sister. They are both well over 40 now but we still tend to think of them that way.

I've been screwing up a lot lately, forgetting to turn burners off. Scary. I try to remember to double check before I leave the room, but occasionally am in too much of a hurry.

Have you considered taking up cooking outside? It just might be safer for your kitchen. :ohmy:

Have you considered taking up cooking outside? It just might be safer for your kitchen. :ohmy:
I think they should build stoves with a safety feature that turns elements off after a certain amount of time. With digital technology, it shouldn't be too complicated and I think the feature would be a big seller....

I think they should build stoves with a safety feature that turns elements off after a certain amount of time. With digital technology, it shouldn't be too complicated and I think the feature would be a big seller....

Now that is a great idea. Did you know that companies pay for ideas like that if they use it? I had a friend that designed a rubber bottom for the Princess phones. Remember them? They were light and the ones with the rotary dial would slide as you were dialing. Bell Telephone (Western Electric) paid him a couple of thousand dollars for his idea and their sales of Princess phones increased when they put the new bottoms on them. :ermm:

They have them in Denmark. When the fire department had to put out a kitchen fire because my mum had left the house with the burner on, social services stepped in. They turned off the gas to her stove and gave her an electric cook top with timer. That was a real nuisance to try to cook on and I only had to deal with it for a month. It was a lot safer, but I wished there was some kind of override. You could barely boil a kettle of water before it switch off.

They have them in Denmark. When the fire department had to put out a kitchen fire because my mum had left the house with the burner on, social services stepped in. They turned off the gas to her stove and gave her an electric cook top with timer. That was a real nuisance to try to cook on and I only had to deal with it for a month. It was a lot safer, but I wished there was some kind of override. You could barely boil a kettle of water before it switch off.

They should make it so that before you turn on the stove you have to set a timer. Like you know it will take 20 minutes to cook potatoes. So you set the timer for 20 minutes and then the stove will let you turn the burner on. :ermm:

Be careful what you wish for. You might find that nice stock or whatever long cooking dish you wanted to cook for hours switched itself off and you'll come in the kitchen at dinner time and find your food cold and raw.

I'm totally annoyed at my new electric blanket. It has an automatic cut-off at 10 hours. That's fine if you turn it on, crawl in bed and go to sleep. Unfortunately I often read in bed for a few hours before going to sleep, and if I forget to turn it off then back on just before I turn out the lights (to reset the timer) then I get woke up in the early hours because I'm freezing. I wish the darn thing didn't have any timer.

I presume the majority opinion among most cooking enthusiasts is that they'd rather have a gas stove top than electric?

I'm totally annoyed at my new electric blanket. It has an automatic cut-off at 10 hours. That's fine if you turn it on, crawl in bed and go to sleep. Unfortunately I often read in bed for a few hours before going to sleep, and if I forget to turn it off then back on just before I turn out the lights (to reset the timer) then I get woke up in the early hours because I'm freezing. I wish the darn thing didn't have any timer.
?
It prevents you from waking up baked. Or would that be roasted?

Surely they could build in a feature that you could set if like that if you wanted. Afterall, ovens have timers, why not elements?

When I was a kid we had a gas stove top. It was supposed to be ultra-modern. It was, for 1959! One burner had a thermostat and one had a timer, but only up to an hour. I wish my electric stove had a burner with a thermostat.

I presume the majority opinion among most cooking enthusiasts is that they'd rather have a gas stove top than electric? "From Greg"

I have an electric stove and I hate it. But because elderly tend to wear housecoats with sleeves that are long and hanging, electric is safer for them. I keep a pan of water on the back burner to get some humidity in the air. There is a little red light that tells me that a burner is on. Everytime I go in the kitchen, I check the level of the water and add some more to it. It is an old stock pot and has the handles missing. It holds a lot of water, but I still check it several times a day. :)

I wish I could cook outside, Addie, but there's no outdoor cooking area, and no balcony either.

I find it happens when I slide my eggs onto my plate and go ahead and cut them up to mix with my sausage or ham. It's not something I've just left on and went to do something else, I was there the whole time. I'm just in a hurry to eat while it's hot.

I'm more careful when cooking things I can leave for awhile. I use a timer then, just to remind myself to check and stir.

I'll work on making a new habit to not leave the room without checking the stove.

I wish I could cook outside, Addie, but there's no outdoor cooking area, and no balcony either.

I find it happens when I slide my eggs onto my plate and go ahead and cut them up to mix with my sausage or ham. It's not something I've just left on and went to do something else, I was there the whole time. I'm just in a hurry to eat while it's hot.

I'm more careful when cooking things I can leave for awhile. I use a timer then, just to remind myself to check and stir.

I'll work on making a new habit to not leave the room without checking the stove.

Try setting the timer ever time you cook. Even your eggs. Set it for five or six minutes and it will ring as a reminder. Even if you are not done cooking. It will put the thought in your head. Or leave the food in the pan and shut the burner off. That way the food stays hot. I have left a burner on also a couple of times. But my stove is electric. And my apartment is small so I can see it as I am walking around. I am sure you will find a soluntion that works for you. Good Luck. :)

Ouch, Frank! Get better soon.

I've done it, too. The worst was when I stupidly grabbed the handle of a CI skillet that had been in the oven. Won't do that again.

Now I have a silicone sleeve that fits on my skillet handles.

When the local Linens 'n Things went belly up and they were clearing out all the misc. gadgets, I picked up a slashed-price knubbly red silicone thingy. It turned out to be one of those silicone sleeves - I have used it countless times for cast iron pans and saucepans with metal handles. Love it.

Those blisters remind me of 'niqueJim's great big blisters on the tops of his feet a while back. Hurts to look at either photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my hand:

30377-albums852-picture4505.jpg
:cry: *kisses all booboos*

Back
Top Bottom