"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Frank, do not break those blisters. The fluid inside is body fluid and helps heal the burn faster. And to break them also will expose you to infection.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Executive Chef

That'll learn ya....

Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Frank, do not break those blisters. The fluid inside is body fluid and helps heal the burn faster. And to break them also will expose you to infection.
That only works for girls... men pop blisters.

I think this is where I am supposed to pound my chest and grunt.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
That only works for girls... men pop blisters.

I think this is where I am supposed to pound my chest and grunt.
Oh please save me! I remember when my brother-in-law had the flu and he was crying about how the hair on his arms hurt. It has been my experience that men are the biggest babies when no one is looking.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
Master Chef

I didn't live at home at the time, but one time, I'm told, one younger sister started a kitchen fire. She was probably late teens, early 20s. Youngest sister rescued. She was probably 10. To this day we joke about the older of the two being our baby sister, and the younger being the younger sister. They are both well over 40 now but we still tend to think of them that way.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I've been screwing up a lot lately, forgetting to turn burners off. Scary. I try to remember to double check before I leave the room, but occasionally am in too much of a hurry.
Have you considered taking up cooking outside? It just might be safer for your kitchen.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you considered taking up cooking outside? It just might be safer for your kitchen.
I think they should build stoves with a safety feature that turns elements off after a certain amount of time. With digital technology, it shouldn't be too complicated and I think the feature would be a big seller....
Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I think they should build stoves with a safety feature that turns elements off after a certain amount of time. With digital technology, it shouldn't be too complicated and I think the feature would be a big seller....
Now that is a great idea. Did you know that companies pay for ideas like that if they use it? I had a friend that designed a rubber bottom for the Princess phones. Remember them? They were light and the ones with the rotary dial would slide as you were dialing. Bell Telephone (Western Electric) paid him a couple of thousand dollars for his idea and their sales of Princess phones increased when they put the new bottoms on them.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
They have them in Denmark. When the fire department had to put out a kitchen fire because my mum had left the house with the burner on, social services stepped in. They turned off the gas to her stove and gave her an electric cook top with timer. That was a real nuisance to try to cook on and I only had to deal with it for a month. It was a lot safer, but I wished there was some kind of override. You could barely boil a kettle of water before it switch off.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They have them in Denmark. When the fire department had to put out a kitchen fire because my mum had left the house with the burner on, social services stepped in. They turned off the gas to her stove and gave her an electric cook top with timer. That was a real nuisance to try to cook on and I only had to deal with it for a month. It was a lot safer, but I wished there was some kind of override. You could barely boil a kettle of water before it switch off.
They should make it so that before you turn on the stove you have to set a timer. Like you know it will take 20 minutes to cook potatoes. So you set the timer for 20 minutes and then the stove will let you turn the burner on.

Tags
stove