You Gotta Touch the Stove to Learn They Say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember chasing the rugrat (my brother) out of the kitchen all the time. "No, it's hot!" He was about 3. Dad got tired of us telling him "No" so he told us to let him touch it. We all stood there and let him touch the stove and burn his fingers, Dad did have the First Aid kit ready. He touched it, it was hot and we said in unison, "It's Hot!" He cried, Dad put a bandaid on his barely burnt finger and we all hugged and kissed him until he felt better. After that, before he touched anything new, he would point and ask, "Hot?" That lasted until he was about 5.

Here's my hand:

30377-albums852-picture4505.jpg

Ow!

I remember when I first got my AC pans. I was doing a steak on the stove top then moved it to the oven to finish it off. When it was done I grabbed the handle with my bear hands OUCH! :(

I remember when I first got my AC pans. I was doing a steak on the stove top then moved it to the oven to finish it off. When it was done I grabbed the handle with my bear hands OUCH! :(

Not at all a fun thing to do.. and I really would not recommend it.

I do what Sparrowgrass does. Reminds me, and if someone else tries to "help" shows them not to touch the handle with bare hands.

I have some scars on just above my wrists because i don't pull out the oven rack before I remove pans.

Just to update.

My hand is doing well. The skin where the burn marks are dried and peeled away. One spot (right next to the heel of my thumb) was tender and sensitive, but that has pretty much gone away.

All in all I didn't fare too badly, it could have been much much worse.

Back in the 70s and 80s I had a cast iron wood stove I used to provide home heat. I learned very quickly to always use the heavy, insulated, leather wood stove gloves with the long cuffs to protect my hands and wrists. They were 100% effective in confining all my burns to my forearms. I always find a way to do something stupid.

got a nice little oven rack impression on my mid fore arm

could it be that I lifted before I pulled? hmmmmm...

Back
Top Bottom